PDA

View Full Version : Observations of canadian banknotes

amosfella
11-18-13, 08:11 AM
I've been looking at the Canadian banknotes lately trying to discover if there might be 2 bills in the one bill. Something like a lawful money side and a legal tender side. I've looked left to right, top and bottom, back and front. I think I might have figured it out. At least on the modern bills. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I would say that the figurehead on the bills is the dividing line. On some bills (we're in a currency transition), the figurehead is not at the halfway point. There is one side that says "Bank of Canada", and "This note is legal Tender". The figurehead is always facing, if only slightly, away from that side of the bill. On the older series, the side being faced away from is quite a bit smaller than in the new series. On that side, nowhere on it will it say "dollar" in any form. It's just a numeric form number. In the new series, silver holograms of various parliament towers are on this side. In the previous series, this was not the case. Shift in legal principles, maybe??

On the other side, is the side that the figurehead is looking at, if even slightly as in the new $20, it has printed out the number in word along with the word 'dollar', as well as the numeric number. I would appear that this side could be the lawful money side. Nowhere on this side is legal tender mentioned, or the Bank of Canada. On this side, are the signatures of the "Governor" and "Deputy Governor", however only those words are used, not Bank of Canada...

There seems to be a color change in the middle of the figurehead. Maybe that's the sides being 'defined'.

The best I can figure is that the side that the figureheads is facing is the lawful money side... Kinda a hide in plain sight thing. They are facing the lawful side saying to look that way in 'silent appeal'.

I may have to dig out my historical collection of Banknotes, and try to see how and why things have changed.

Anyone that has the ability to describe further what is happening, please feel free to chime in.

walter
11-18-13, 05:00 PM
I've been looking at the Canadian banknotes lately trying to discover if there might be 2 bills in the one bill. Something like a lawful money side and a legal tender side. I've looked left to right, top and bottom, back and front. I think I might have figured it out. At least on the modern bills. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I would say that the figurehead on the bills is the dividing line. On some bills (we're in a currency transition), the figurehead is not at the halfway point. There is one side that says "Bank of Canada", and "This note is legal Tender". The figurehead is always facing, if only slightly, away from that side of the bill. On the older series, the side being faced away from is quite a bit smaller than in the new series. On that side, nowhere on it will it say "dollar" in any form. It's just a numeric form number. In the new series, silver holograms of various parliament towers are on this side. In the previous series, this was not the case. Shift in legal principles, maybe??

On the other side, is the side that the figurehead is looking at, if even slightly as in the new $20, it has printed out the number in word along with the word 'dollar', as well as the numeric number. I would appear that this side could be the lawful money side. Nowhere on this side is legal tender mentioned, or the Bank of Canada. On this side, are the signatures of the "Governor" and "Deputy Governor", however only those words are used, not Bank of Canada...

There seems to be a color change in the middle of the figurehead. Maybe that's the sides being 'defined'.

The best I can figure is that the side that the figureheads is facing is the lawful money side... Kinda a hide in plain sight thing. They are facing the lawful side saying to look that way in 'silent appeal'.

I may have to dig out my historical collection of Banknotes, and try to see how and why things have changed.

Anyone that has the ability to describe further what is happening, please feel free to chime in.

The biggest change I have noticed with Canada's money is that a few years ago their queen's crown has been removed from all coins and bills.
On the net they claimed it was simply because the artist drew the picture from a picture that she was not wearing a crown but that is crap because every year since then the coins and bills have her with no crown and every year before that she wears one.

I like the opium poppy's on the twenties and that crazy frozen water poem on the fives.
Ever wonder why they hand out plastic poppies at remembrance day?

amosfella
11-18-13, 05:19 PM
Because the Queen's family was funded by Opium sales for a while... I"m sure it has nothing to do with the poem, "In Flander's Fields".

bobbinville
11-19-13, 03:33 AM
Actually, the Queen has never worn a crown on Canadian coins or currency. She has worn a tiara; but that is not legally a crown. The last to do so was George V. The models for Edward VIII (on display at the National Currency Museum in Ottawa) show him bareheaded; and the George VI coinage shows a bareheaded king. Newfoundland showed a crowned King George VI; but that's because it was still a colony up through 1949.

If you want to see, for yourself, that the present Queen has never worn a crown on Canadian currency, check out the Bank of Canada's official web site (www.bankofcanada.ca) and see for yourself. In fact, since the demise of the $2 bill, the only Canadian banknote on which the Queen appears is the $20 -- the others show Canadian Prime Ministers (Laurier, MacDonald, King and Borden). In fact, here's a quick link: http://www.bankofcanada.ca/banknotes/image-gallery/.

The recent changes in the banknotes have one purpose only: to deter counterfeiting. The series which just got replaced was supposed to be almost counterfeit-proof; but printers are getting to be extremely good and the phonies were getting better and better. The shifting of the devices and wording here and there is intended to provide space for the see-through portions of the design, the holograms and so on. The placement of the portraits is simply made to achieve artistic balance over the note.

bobbinville
11-19-13, 03:37 AM
Even assuming that amosfella is correct, there is no relationship to "In Flanders Fields." The poem was written by John MacCrae because quite a few Canadian soldiers fell in battle in the Flanders region of France/Belgium, where red poppies with black centers grow in profusion. That''s why, even today, you will see Canadians buying and selling replica poppies to wear on Remembrance day, November 11. Ask any Canadian, and you'll find confirmation of all this.

amosfella
11-19-13, 08:47 PM
Walter mentioned coins as well. The queen wore a crown or tiara on most Canadian coins until the last series...

amosfella
11-19-13, 08:48 PM
Actually, the Queen has never worn a crown on Canadian coins or currency. The last to do so was George V. The models for Edward VIII (on display at the National Currency Museum in Ottawa) show him bareheaded; and the George VI coinage shows a bareheaded king. Newfoundland showed a crowned King George VI; but that's because it was still a colony up through 1949.

If you want to see, for yourself, that the present Queen has never worn a crown on Canadian currency, check out the Bank of Canada's official web site (www.bankofcanada.ca) and see for yourself. In fact, since the demise of the $2 bill, the only Canadian banknote on which the Queen appears is the $20 -- the others show Canadian Prime Ministers (Laurier, MacDonald, King and Borden). In fact, here's a quick link: http://www.bankofcanada.ca/banknotes/image-gallery/.

The recent changes in the banknotes have one purpose only: to deter counterfeiting. The series which just got replaced was supposed to be almost counterfeit-proof; but printers are getting to be extremely good and the phonies were getting better and better. The shifting of the devices and wording here and there is intended to provide space for the see-through portions of the design, the holograms and so on. The placement of the portraits is simply made to achieve artistic balance over the note.

I'm just commenting that there seems to be 2 notes on one note... Clearly separated...

allodial
11-19-13, 10:00 PM
There are those who might suggest that significant changes are per the Lisbon Treaty which may have come into effect in 2009 with respect to the UK. There are those who suggest that the Lisbon Treaty facilitated severance of Canada, etc. from the British Crown but that there are those who maintain 'old appearances' for 'control purposes'. There were some significant changes in the Government of Canada during 2003/2004.

Key word: abdication (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abdication).

walter
11-22-13, 04:44 PM
Actually, the Queen has never worn a crown on Canadian coins or currency.

I don' know where you got your info from but i have a pocket full of coins with the queenie wearing a crown.
The interesting issue with the removal of her crown on the newer coins is that it didn't happen to other commonwealth countries like Australia.

walter
11-22-13, 05:10 PM
From wiki:

According to Fussell, "In Flanders Fields" was the most popular poem of its era.[22] McCrae received numerous letters and telegrams praising his work when he was revealed as the author.[23] The poem was republished throughout the world, rapidly becoming synonymous with the sacrifice of the soldiers who died in the First World War.[11] It was translated into numerous languages, so many that McCrae himself quipped that "it needs only Chinese now, surely".[24] Its appeal was nearly universal. Soldiers took encouragement from it as a statement of their duty to those who died while people on the home front viewed it as defining the cause for which their brothers and sons were fighting.[25]
It was often used for propaganda, particularly in Canada by the Unionist Party during the 1917 federal election amidst the Conscription Crisis. French Canadians in Quebec were strongly opposed to the possibility of conscription, but English Canadians voted overwhelmingly to support Prime Minister Robert Borden and the Unionist government. "In Flanders Fields" was said to have done more to "make this Dominion persevere in the duty of fighting for the world's ultimate peace than all the political speeches of the recent campaign".[26] McCrae, a staunch supporter of the empire and the war effort, was pleased with the effect his poem had on the election. He stated in a letter: "I hope I stabbed a [French] Canadian with my vote."[26]
The poem was a popular motivational tool in Great Britain, where it was used to encourage soldiers fighting against Germany, and in the United States where it was reprinted across the country. It was one of the most quoted works during the war,[12] used in many places as part of campaigns to sell war bonds, during recruiting efforts and to criticize pacifists and those who sought to profit from the war.[27] American composer Charles Ives used "In Flanders Fields" as the basis for a song of the same name that premiered in 1917.[28] Historian Paul Fussell criticized the poem in his work The Great War and Modern Memory (1975).[22] He noted the distinction between the pastoral tone of the first nine lines and the "recruiting-poster rhetoric" of the third stanza. Describing it as "vicious" and "stupid", Fussell called the final lines a "propaganda argument against a negotiated peace"

And I feel they are still using it as a tool.

bobbinville
11-23-13, 12:42 AM
That's a tiara, now a crown.

bobbinville
11-23-13, 12:44 AM
That's a tiara, not a crown. The only "real" crowns are the St. Edward's Crown, used in coronations, and the Imperial State Crown; and possibly the Scottish Crown as well.

bobbinville
11-23-13, 12:46 AM
The Queen has worn a tiara on Canadian coins, and not a crown. The only "real" crowns are the St. Edward's Crown, used in coronations, and the Imperial State Crown; and possibly the Scottish Crown as well.The last time that a Canadian monarch wore a crown on a Canadian coin was in 1936.

bobbinville
11-23-13, 12:47 AM
I don' know where you got your info from but i have a pocket full of coins with the queenie wearing a crown.
The interesting issue with the removal of her crown on the newer coins is that it didn't happen to other commonwealth countries like Australia.

The Queen has worn a tiara on Canadian coins, and not a crown. The only "real" crowns are the St. Edward's Crown, used in coronations, and the Imperial State Crown; and possibly the Scottish Crown as well.The last time that a Canadian monarch wore a crown on a Canadian coin was in 1936.

bobbinville
11-23-13, 12:48 AM

amosfella
11-23-13, 05:56 AM
The coins in 92 had a real crown on them...

bobbinville
12-03-13, 06:17 PM
She is wearing a tiara, not a crown.

amosfella
12-05-13, 01:28 AM
http://ebid.s3.amazonaws.com/upload_big/4/7/7/1240026837-2586-0.jpg

That's a crown as far as I can see... It's the 125 year penny issued in 1992.