PDA

View Full Version : Robert Maynard on Legal tender

walter
02-04-15, 05:12 PM
I had to post this for you David. For the record I am not endorsing this video.
Entertainment purposes only.
I know the history of you two. lol.
Here is his take on Legal Tender.
I thought you would get a kick from it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoSYpwaMMoM

Chex
03-06-15, 02:54 PM
Marking up those bills in the U.S. can be a crime. Under 18 U.S.C. §333, you can be fined or face jail time for altering a bill if the intent is to make the bill unfit for circulation:

Whoever mutilates, cuts, defaces, disfigures, or perforates, or unites or cements together :confused:, or does any other thing to any bank bill, draft, note, or other evidence of debt issued by any national banking association, or Federal Reserve bank, or the Federal Reserve System, with intent to render such bank bill, draft, note, or other evidence of debt unfit to be reissued, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than six months, or both.

Sir Wilfrid Laurier (with or without Vulcan ears) has made an appearance on a number of bills issued by the bank, including the 1935 and 1937 versions of the $1000 bill and several versions of the $5 bill. Why so popular? Sir Laurier was the seventh Prime Minister of Canada and served four terms at the turn of the 20th century, making him the fourth-longest serving Prime Minister of Canada. He’s notable for helping grow the country and aiding efforts to distance the country from Great Britain. Canadians also think he bears a slight resemblance to Spock – thus, the craze.

There’s also a bigger issue than national pride at stake: money. Marking up bills can limit their lifespan. Replacing those bills costs taxpayer money. The Bank of Canada should know: according to the Bank’s website, it “is the country’s sole authority for issuing bank notes, responsible for the design, production and distribution of Canada’s bank notes.”

walter
03-06-15, 06:18 PM
or other evidence of debt unfit to be reissued, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than six months, or both.

Maybe because you are destroying evidence?