PDA

View Full Version : Heap Coals on an Enemy Today!

David Merrill
09-11-15, 01:25 PM
I read in the Bible that those we perceive as enemies are to be forgiven with acts of kindness. We give our enemies food if they hunger. We give them water if they thirst...

Then we heap coals upon their heads?

I always thought this meant we were to cause them pain and get vengeance somehow, maybe it meant to embarrass them? - Make them uncomfortable at the least?

Nope. Heaping coals on an enemy's head is an additional act of kindness and is to be taken in that context. Especially famous, the Temple of Athena gave fire to the congregants. A traditional bucket is no good for carrying home coals because heat rises. So an insulated bucket was carried on the head. People who lived in the cities could not cut down all the trees for firewood, or maybe there were no trees in and around town because they did. So the people became congregants to the local Temple religions by and large for the benefits - one of which was coals for heating home-cooked meals.

This is calming to understand, yet troubling too. I had it in my previous interpretation that I was justified in gaining a certain amount of revenge, even while forgiving. Now I simply know that we forgive and that is the only way to restore and remember love.

Love,

David Merrill.

allodial
09-11-15, 01:40 PM
Yes. Along those lines, the idea is that by your acts, you purify their minds. Because their brain has to process your reciprocating with kindness it starts making them self-reflect. The typical eye-for-an-eye programming they're used gets busted down and leaky.

From the Christian's Penny Magazine (1852) (https://books.google.com/books?id=vw4EAAAAQAAJ&pg=RA1-PA206)

Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good. Romans 12:21

If your enemy is hungry, give him food to eat; if he is thirsty, give him water to drink." Proverbs 25:21

And the king of Israel said unto Elisha, when he saw them, My father, shall I smite them? shall I smite them? 22And he answered, Thou shalt not smite them: wouldest thou smite those whom thou hast taken captive with thy sword and with thy bow? set bread and water before them, that they may eat and drink, and go to their master. 23And he prepared great provision for them: and when they had eaten and drunk, he sent them away, and they went to their master. So the bands of Syria came no more into the land of Israel. 2 Kings 6:21-23

David Merrill
09-11-15, 02:10 PM
From an early Christian (modern too in allegory) standpoint, you deflect your enemy from the idolatry of the tribute to the pagan Temple.

xparte
09-11-15, 03:15 PM
As children on a playground can be the cruellest little bastards to one and another in any given moment and angelic as punch the next. All is forgiven in the wild its the civilized that form the hate grow up for WHAT.Being a child puts it Christlike .

allodial
09-20-15, 08:49 PM
From an early Christian (modern too in allegory) standpoint, you deflect your enemy from the idolatry of the tribute to the pagan Temple.

Seems to parallel redemption of scrip for lawful money. Deflecting the enemy from idolatry (debt/sin generation; machines that deplete) to credit/creativity (machines that enrich/enliven).

xparte
09-20-15, 10:45 PM
The system was set up with the HEATHEN minded render unto Caesar is as PAGAN as it gets the thief on the cross was rendering just that .Christ,s message is take what's lawful .Remembering the whole world is REGISTERED as persons where else but the temple or later the church can one be both a heathen and a person Each Man has a PERSON how else would Satan lay claim to being equal to God and why Does Christ drop the Bomb on the SYSTEM instead of rebuilding Satan's SYSTEM or kneeling too Satan Our faith in Christ's is lawful in the only one true messianic Hebrew style.Christ did plenty of ass kicking on the SABBATH why because he was no heathen my opinion is on paper thats what the world is the post Christ HEATHEN pagan Roman-Greco Hellenistic Babelistic society or bad tree bad seed bad fruit bearing all the Signs and Signature or NATURE off bye one tree. [a lawful account from the tree of life came with the tree of knowledge now Christ bears fruit on two trees let know Man deceive you did Christ deceive one Hebrew if Christ knows that Satan is a Man then legal deception vs God lawful