PDA

View Full Version : An Enquiry into the Rights of the East-India Company of Making War and Peace [1769]

allodial
04-15-16, 11:21 PM
An Enquiry into the Rights of the East-India Company of Making War and Peace and of Possessing Their Territorial Acquisitions Without the Participation or Inspection of the British government, In A Letter to the Proprietors of East-India Stock [1769]

{Note: "Territorial Acquisitions"}

Link (https://archive.org/details/enquiryintoright00oldpuoft) <- to full e-book (PDF and other formats).

David Merrill
04-16-16, 12:21 AM
Thank you!

I was wondering that on and off, over the last few days' postings. The Charter and other docs speak of acquiring some of the spoils if engaging "the enemy". - Without actually naming the enemy. So I presume whoever was enemy in commerce with the Dutch and British - most of the time the Portuguese. But I was wondering actually about the ambiguity and fog caused by the sluggish medium and unreliable word of mouth about what treaties might be in effect, and what alliances are in good order or sullied etc.

shikamaru
04-16-16, 03:43 PM
Thank you!

I was wondering that on and off, over the last few days' postings. The Charter and other docs speak of acquiring some of the spoils if engaging "the enemy". - Without actually naming the enemy. So I presume whoever was enemy in commerce with the Dutch and British - most of the time the Portuguese. But I was wondering actually about the ambiguity and fog caused by the sluggish medium and unreliable word of mouth about what treaties might be in effect, and what alliances are in good order or sullied etc.

"Enemies" can also be those who undermine your business i.e. smugglers, boycotters, et al.

On another note, another facet of companies such as those was privateering.

David Merrill
04-16-16, 04:59 PM
Enemies branded hoarders in 1933. The "solution" was to convince Americans to endorse the new private trust.

allodial
04-17-16, 12:22 AM
"Enemies" can also be those who undermine your business i.e. smugglers, boycotters, et al.

On another note, another facet of companies such as those was privateering.

Which touches upon the warnings made about "Municipal Trading".

3897[/INDENT]

Consider 'credit' as code for creativity or creative energy.