PDA

View Full Version : 1 Samuel 8

Gavilan
05-09-16, 04:27 PM
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1+Samuel+8

1 Samuel 8New International Version (NIV)
Israel Asks for a King

8 When Samuel grew old, he appointed his sons as Israel’s leaders.[a] 2 The name of his firstborn was Joel and the name of his second was Abijah, and they served at Beersheba. 3 But his sons did not follow his ways. They turned aside after dishonest gain and accepted bribes and perverted justice.

4 So all the elders of Israel gathered together and came to Samuel at Ramah. 5 They said to him, “You are old, and your sons do not follow your ways; now appoint a king to lead us, such as all the other nations have.”

6 But when they said, “Give us a king to lead us,” this displeased Samuel; so he prayed to the Lord. 7 And the Lord told him: “Listen to all that the people are saying to you; it is not you they have rejected, but they have rejected me as their king. 8 As they have done from the day I brought them up out of Egypt until this day, forsaking me and serving other gods, so they are doing to you. 9 Now listen to them; but warn them solemnly and let them know what the king who will reign over them will claim as his rights.”

10 Samuel told all the words of the Lord to the people who were asking him for a king. 11 [B]He said, “This is what the king who will reign over you will claim as his rights: He will take your sons and make them serve with his chariots and horses, and they will run in front of his chariots. 12 Some he will assign to be commanders of thousands and commanders of fifties, and others to plow his ground and reap his harvest, and still others to make weapons of war and equipment for his chariots. 13 He will take your daughters to be perfumers and cooks and bakers. 14 He will take the best of your fields and vineyards and olive groves and give them to his attendants. 15 He will take a tenth of your grain and of your vintage and give it to his officials and attendants. 16 Your male and female servants and the best of your cattle[c] and donkeys he will take for his own use. 17 He will take a tenth of your flocks, and you yourselves will become his slaves. 18 When that day comes, you will cry out for relief from the king you have chosen, but the Lord will not answer you in that day.”

19 But the people refused to listen to Samuel. “No!” they said. “We want a king over us. 20 Then we will be like all the other nations, with a king to lead us and to go out before us and fight our battles.”

21 When Samuel heard all that the people said, he repeated it before the Lord. 22 The Lord answered, “Listen to them and give them a king.”

Then Samuel said to the Israelites, “Everyone go back to your own town.”
Footnotes:

1 Samuel 8:1 Traditionally judges
1 Samuel 8:5 Traditionally judge; also in verses 6 and 20
1 Samuel 8:16 Septuagint; Hebrew young men

New International Version (NIV)

Holy Bible, New International Version®, NIV® Copyright ©1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

If the people asked for a king, and the LORD gave them what they wanted, how do we the descendants can go back to the LORD?

Michael Joseph
05-09-16, 05:06 PM

If the people asked for a king, and the LORD gave them what they wanted, how do we the descendants can go back to the LORD?

By the means of which the Lord setup for the return of the people. He told Hosea - go marry a whore. Get it? Then name the son Jezreel - to sow and to gather - it has a double meaning! Get it?

allodial
05-09-16, 05:23 PM

The name Hosea is similar to or akin to Joshua and Isaiah. From what I gather, Hosea marrying a Harlot named Gomer was like being told to "experience what its like to deal with an apostate people": Marry a harlot, name the kids ruin, not my people, etc. The Gospel is said to amounts to the culmination of healing the breech. The answer you seek is evidenced in the NT and in the OT.

When Jesus/Yeshua arrived on the scene, Israel was in exile for the most part. A split had occurred between Israel and Judah. If you look carefully, you might find that Apostles were sent to Israel (who was in exile) predominately because they were 'lost' at the time. Hosea's is said to have been writing or to have occurred around 753 BC. Around the time Rome was established.

Perhaps you might find these links insightful:

Hosea 1 - The Prophet and the Prostitute (http://biblehub.com/commentaries/guzik/commentaries/2801.htm")?
The Third Temple, Physical or Spiritual? (http://www.thepathoftruth.com/teachings/third-temple-physical-spiritual.htm)
Gomer (wife of Hosea) (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gomer_%28wife_of_Hosea%29)

Michael Joseph
05-09-16, 05:51 PM
The name Hosea is similar to or akin to Joshua and Isaiah. Hosea marrying a Harlot was like being told to "experience what its like" to deal with an apostate people: Marry a harlot, name the kids ruin, not my people, etc. The Gospel is said to amounts to the culmination of healing the breech. The answer you seek is evidenced in the NT and in the OT.

When one studies carefully the intercourse between Rehoboam and Jeroboam we see that the folks to the north exercised a right of self determination - exiling from the Government - and by the way - their former agreement with the Ever Living. But notice their claim was acknowledged as the northern tribes setup a new government and a new religion. But notice in doing so they also broke their word. For they were informed of the terms of their contract and they all said - Yea, but we shall have a man-king - like all the other nations! Thusly Israel defaulted.

Consider the inner kingdom as well for it is easy to point the finger at others, but hard to examine my own ego, pride and self-centeredness. I want what I want - but as St. Paul wrote - "I die daily". For what has Carnality to do with Spirituality? The scriptures declare an extreme hatred between the two as these two are pitted against each other in constant war. For St. Paul wrote "that which I think to do, I do not, and that which I know not to do, that I do". Is he double-minded, I think no. Rather, I think he describes within his body the same that we all experience. Which experience is the Carnal experience attempting to rule. Therefore we see in Israel they wanted a man-king just like all the other nations.

Nations is the Key. We read that the nations are put to death - Carnal desires, thoughts, philosophies....etc. Was not Israel a Theocratic Republic? How to return to this style of government when all I can really effect is me? Answer: Start with Me. Turn and Return to the House of the Ever Living - turn and return to the Way of Life - the Way of Being. This of course will put you at immediate odds with the nation states and their philosophic views. But then again if you don't mind the sound of frogs - for at once when they drone on and on - the sound is replaced with "rib-bit....rib-bit".

What can the lesser give to the greater? What do I have that is mine that does not belong to God? My choice? Of what power do I have to redeem myself to the Lender? No power at all. Therefore redeemed am I not of my own, but of Christ. Now the only question left is asked of Jesus. "Why call me Lord and do not obey?" For what good is knowing truth and not doing truth? For Jesus also said "Ye shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free." Therefore have faith to obey and do and be set-apart and qodesh before the Ever Living. Do the Law of the Kingdom of God - be the humble servant. For that is the Way. For "Thy Law is a Lamp unto my feet." And we read from Jesus "If I don't wash your feet Peter, you shall have no part with me."