PDA

View Full Version : state sales tax

marcel
07-24-20, 02:44 AM
guys, I discovered how to pay zero sales tax. Bought items worth $21.61 today and paid no Sales Tax.

David Merrill
07-24-20, 09:18 AM
guys, I discovered how to pay zero sales tax. Bought items worth $21.61 today and paid no Sales Tax.

It is a Sales Tax - not a Buyers Tax. But you should give us some details about the conversation.

Michael Joseph
07-24-20, 08:18 PM
It is a Sales Tax - not a Buyers Tax. But you should give us some details about the conversation.

I agree. Most times they are double dipping. The Seller should already have that Sales Tax incorporated into his Retail price. For the privilege of charging retail prices the Seller enters into a trust with the State to collect Sales Tax on behalf of the State. These days the Seller's charge full retail; and, on top of that retail price, they pass the Sales Tax along to the Buyer. The Buyer ends up paying twice. It is a nifty swindle because the Buyer will never win an argument about double dipping when said Buyer does not set the retail price.

marcel
07-25-20, 12:24 AM
There were no magic words i used to buy the USB drives and the candy bar. The cashier conversation wasn't much beyond the usual "how are you?" "Here is my rewards #"

I offered a $10 off $20 coupon, and the 11.61 balance was paid with something called STAPLES REWARDS. A kind of store-dollars or store-currency that had accumulated to $25.

To me this indicates the tax is tied to what is offered or used to purchase the retail items. Note: NOT Federal Reserve currency.

David Merrill
07-25-20, 03:54 PM
Thank you for explaining.