PDA

View Full Version : Is there signs on the currency?

Ignatious
01-07-12, 03:15 AM
I have a 1934 Federal Reserve Note that had the old phrase on it in this fashion. (THIS NOTE IS LEGAL TENDER FOR ALL DEBTS, PUBLIC AND PRIVATE, AND IS REDEEMABLE IN LAWFUL MONEY AT THE UNITED STATES TREASURY, OR AT ANY FEDERAL RESERVE BANK.). Which got me thinking about a couple of things. First it seems that the law is published right on the bill as I've felt before it should be. Also since it would be a legal instrument, one would think things should be in order as far as punctuation and things like that. In the case of the 1934 bill we see that everything is. We then look at a 2006 FRN and we see a part of this phrase but in this fashion (THIS NOTE IS LEGAL TENDER FOR ALL DEBTS, PUBLIC AND PRIVATE). Besides the lack of the second half did you catch the difference?..... No comma? No period? No anything? Just blank as if almost having to be blank to essentially commit fraud but technically not. I'm looking more into things, however I am curious. This seems like it had to be done purposefully, because otherwise it would seem to be just a punctual error which I highly doubt due to the amount of editing done to the currency. Also everything else on the bill is punctually correct. To me this seems like the hiding out in the open approach. Putting a period after "PRIVATE" would mean an end to that sentence, which we all know that's not the end to that sentence. Putting a coma after the word "PRIVATE" would indicate that there's more to come in the sentence leaving to wonder what, and would be odd because we don't end sentences with commas. So instead it's just left entirely blank. So I'm curious if there is some sort of law or stipulation that the FRB must put something on the notes in relation to the law? Which if so makes sense for not just putting a period there anyway if there intent was to deceive, for doing so would be not correctly posting the law. Just found it interesting thought I would throw it out there. The movie Thrive (http://www.thrivemovement.com) kinda talks about the hiding in the open thing. Great movie if you haven't seen it def worth the watch.

P.S. Washington,D.C. was taken off the new bills as well.

David Merrill
01-09-12, 02:43 AM
Thank you for posting that. It does make me wonder. I will get a look at Thrive next chance I get.