PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical $300 million + Powerball lottery redemption

Topgun
04-13-13, 02:42 PM
Hello everyone,

Though new here, I have been enjoying David's work and reading the forum for some time. Would anyone like to clarify the $300 million aspect mentioned in threads? Is that the amount PER YEAR that may be newly minted, or the TOTAL currency ceiling in US Treasury coinage, or does it mean something else?
I believe a lot of people would love to know the what, why, and cause of such a finite amount, if inflation applies (say if $300 million around 1933 vs. 2013), and what enforcement is in place to maintain that set limit. Do people with "net worth" of billions own hypothetical debt notes that can't be redeemed beyond $300 million? I'd love clarity on this particular.

I believe if the PEOPLE all knew that every time you restrict endorsements, they are helping the country get out of debt [and an angel gets it's wings], they would do it in ever-growing leaps and bounds. I am very curious of this hypothetical scenario:

With the recent news of Powerball lottery winnings exceeding insane amounts of $300 million (was it $500 mill?!?), what would happen if someone stamped their ticket with their handy rubber endorsement? :) Forget for a moment that many people here may just cash out the traditional way due to fear of getting nothing by rocking the boat or perhaps attracting dangerous attention. If someone did it, what do you think would happen?

1. Would a lump sum now not be tax reduced (i.e. $100 million being EXACTLY $100 million rather than an immediate tax reduced $42+ million or so)? Perhaps a lottery tax vs. an income tax still applies?

2. Depending on the answer to the $300 million question, what if that was the amount of the prize? Could one man wipe out the whole Treasury? What if one redeemed $300,000,001 or $500 million lottery ticket? Where would the surplus dollar+ come from?

3. How would the media handle it? Such a man (or woman) could be a hero by letting the cat out of the bag on the levels of critical mass. The media loves to
spotlight lottery winners, but is controlled to not speak of such things. Such a cat scenario reminds me of this: If a dropped slice of toast always falls buttered side down and a cat always lands on its feet, what happens when you drop a cat with toast strapped to its back butter side up? That guy who just won and paid child support... imagine if after such Yahoo headline attention such a guy said "oh by the way, here's my ticket..." :)

Who is to say that a Bill Gates or private banker hasn't already done this in secret? Are the rest of us left with invisible musical chairs only projected by music still skipping in a loop on the record player? Perhaps my spare change in the milk jug is the only evidence I have that a banker hasn't done this... yet. :)

I welcome your thoughts, and it's great to finally join up here!