Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Observations of canadian banknotes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Observations of canadian banknotes

I've been looking at the Canadian banknotes lately trying to discover if there might be 2 bills in the one bill. Something like a lawful money side and a legal tender side. I've looked left to right, top and bottom, back and front. I think I might have figured it out. At least on the modern bills. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I would say that the figurehead on the bills is the dividing line. On some bills (we're in a currency transition), the figurehead is not at the halfway point. There is one side that says "Bank of Canada", and "This note is legal Tender". The figurehead is always facing, if only slightly, away from that side of the bill. On the older series, the side being faced away from is quite a bit smaller than in the new series. On that side, nowhere on it will it say "dollar" in any form. It's just a numeric form number. In the new series, silver holograms of various parliament towers are on this side. In the previous series, this was not the case. Shift in legal principles, maybe??

On the other side, is the side that the figurehead is looking at, if even slightly as in the new $20, it has printed out the number in word along with the word 'dollar', as well as the numeric number. I would appear that this side could be the lawful money side. Nowhere on this side is legal tender mentioned, or the Bank of Canada. On this side, are the signatures of the "Governor" and "Deputy Governor", however only those words are used, not Bank of Canada...

There seems to be a color change in the middle of the figurehead. Maybe that's the sides being 'defined'.

The best I can figure is that the side that the figureheads is facing is the lawful money side... Kinda a hide in plain sight thing. They are facing the lawful side saying to look that way in 'silent appeal'.

I may have to dig out my historical collection of Banknotes, and try to see how and why things have changed.

Anyone that has the ability to describe further what is happening, please feel free to chime in.

Quote Originally Posted by amosfella View Post
    I've been looking at the Canadian banknotes lately trying to discover if there might be 2 bills in the one bill. Something like a lawful money side and a legal tender side. I've looked left to right, top and bottom, back and front. I think I might have figured it out. At least on the modern bills. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I would say that the figurehead on the bills is the dividing line. On some bills (we're in a currency transition), the figurehead is not at the halfway point. There is one side that says "Bank of Canada", and "This note is legal Tender". The figurehead is always facing, if only slightly, away from that side of the bill. On the older series, the side being faced away from is quite a bit smaller than in the new series. On that side, nowhere on it will it say "dollar" in any form. It's just a numeric form number. In the new series, silver holograms of various parliament towers are on this side. In the previous series, this was not the case. Shift in legal principles, maybe??

On the other side, is the side that the figurehead is looking at, if even slightly as in the new $20, it has printed out the number in word along with the word 'dollar', as well as the numeric number. I would appear that this side could be the lawful money side. Nowhere on this side is legal tender mentioned, or the Bank of Canada. On this side, are the signatures of the "Governor" and "Deputy Governor", however only those words are used, not Bank of Canada...

There seems to be a color change in the middle of the figurehead. Maybe that's the sides being 'defined'.

The best I can figure is that the side that the figureheads is facing is the lawful money side... Kinda a hide in plain sight thing. They are facing the lawful side saying to look that way in 'silent appeal'.

I may have to dig out my historical collection of Banknotes, and try to see how and why things have changed.

Anyone that has the ability to describe further what is happening, please feel free to chime in.

The biggest change I have noticed with Canada's money is that a few years ago their queen's crown has been removed from all coins and bills.
    On the net they claimed it was simply because the artist drew the picture from a picture that she was not wearing a crown but that is crap because every year since then the coins and bills have her with no crown and every year before that she wears one.

I like the opium poppy's on the twenties and that crazy frozen water poem on the fives.
    Ever wonder why they hand out plastic poppies at remembrance day?

bobbinville
    Actually, the Queen has never worn a crown on Canadian coins or currency. She has worn a tiara; but that is not legally a crown. The last to do so was George V. The models for Edward VIII (on display at the National Currency Museum in Ottawa) show him bareheaded; and the George VI coinage shows a bareheaded king. Newfoundland showed a crowned King George VI; but that's because it was still a colony up through 1949.

If you want to see, for yourself, that the present Queen has never worn a crown on Canadian currency, check out the Bank of Canada's official web site (www.bankofcanada.ca) and see for yourself. In fact, since the demise of the $2 bill, the only Canadian banknote on which the Queen appears is the $20 -- the others show Canadian Prime Ministers (Laurier, MacDonald, King and Borden). In fact, here's a quick link: http://www.bankofcanada.ca/banknotes/image-gallery/.

The recent changes in the banknotes have one purpose only: to deter counterfeiting. The series which just got replaced was supposed to be almost counterfeit-proof; but printers are getting to be extremely good and the phonies were getting better and better. The shifting of the devices and wording here and there is intended to provide space for the see-through portions of the design, the holograms and so on. The placement of the portraits is simply made to achieve artistic balance over the note.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbinville View Post
    Actually, the Queen has never worn a crown on Canadian coins or currency. The last to do so was George V. The models for Edward VIII (on display at the National Currency Museum in Ottawa) show him bareheaded; and the George VI coinage shows a bareheaded king. Newfoundland showed a crowned King George VI; but that's because it was still a colony up through 1949.

If you want to see, for yourself, that the present Queen has never worn a crown on Canadian currency, check out the Bank of Canada's official web site (www.bankofcanada.ca) and see for yourself. In fact, since the demise of the $2 bill, the only Canadian banknote on which the Queen appears is the $20 -- the others show Canadian Prime Ministers (Laurier, MacDonald, King and Borden). In fact, here's a quick link: http://www.bankofcanada.ca/banknotes/image-gallery/.

The recent changes in the banknotes have one purpose only: to deter counterfeiting. The series which just got replaced was supposed to be almost counterfeit-proof; but printers are getting to be extremely good and the phonies were getting better and better. The shifting of the devices and wording here and there is intended to provide space for the see-through portions of the design, the holograms and so on. The placement of the portraits is simply made to achieve artistic balance over the note.
    I'm just commenting that there seems to be 2 notes on one note... Clearly separated...

There are those who might suggest that significant changes are per the Lisbon Treaty which may have come into effect in 2009 with respect to the UK. There are those who suggest that the Lisbon Treaty facilitated severance of Canada, etc. from the British Crown but that there are those who maintain 'old appearances' for 'control purposes'. There were some significant changes in the Government of Canada during 2003/2004.

Key word: abdication.
    All rights reserved. Without prejudice. No liability assumed. No value assured.

"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
    "It is the glory of God to conceal a thing: but the honour of kings is to search out a matter." Proverbs 25:2
    Prove all things; hold fast that which is good. Thess. 5:21.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbinville View Post
    Actually, the Queen has never worn a crown on Canadian coins or currency.
    I don' know where you got your info from but i have a pocket full of coins with the queenie wearing a crown.
    The interesting issue with the removal of her crown on the newer coins is that it didn't happen to other commonwealth countries like Australia.

bobbinville
    That's a tiara, now a crown.

bobbinville
    That's a tiara, not a crown. The only "real" crowns are the St. Edward's Crown, used in coronations, and the Imperial State Crown; and possibly the Scottish Crown as well.

bobbinville

Queen wearing a crown?

The Queen has worn a tiara on Canadian coins, and not a crown. The only "real" crowns are the St. Edward's Crown, used in coronations, and the Imperial State Crown; and possibly the Scottish Crown as well.The last time that a Canadian monarch wore a crown on a Canadian coin was in 1936.

bobbinville
    Quote Originally Posted by walter View Post
    I don' know where you got your info from but i have a pocket full of coins with the queenie wearing a crown.
    The interesting issue with the removal of her crown on the newer coins is that it didn't happen to other commonwealth countries like Australia.
    The Queen has worn a tiara on Canadian coins, and not a crown. The only "real" crowns are the St. Edward's Crown, used in coronations, and the Imperial State Crown; and possibly the Scottish Crown as well.The last time that a Canadian monarch wore a crown on a Canadian coin was in 1936.