Thread: The Moon In Color

The Moon In Color

Full Moon in Tricolor
    Taken with a SBIG STL-11000M camera on a 13-inch f/7.5 Classical Cassegrain using the tricolor RGB imaging technique
    (with color saturation processing)

The above is said to be a photo taken of the moon. The methods utilized as of late by amateur astronomers have been to equalize the R G B channels. The general verdict appears that the moon's colors don't quite pop from the earth due to #1 the sky is blue; #2 atmospheric haze or the like. There is a growing number of astronomers who are alleging NASA and others to be doctoring pictures of the moon.

Name:  Moon-Daytime-Color-web-900-SM.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  13.1 KB

The above is allegedly a LANDSAT-3 image of the Cape Canaveral area.

Name:  original.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  48.1 KB

The above is said to be a photo of earth from the European Space Agency's satellite known as MSG-3--note the color of the bodies of water.

Name:  modis_wonderglobe.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  76.3 KB

For comparison a NASA image of Earth from space.

Name:  PIA00404_modest.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  37.9 KB
    NASA's own photo of Moon from Gallileo Orbiter (June 1998) (link here).

P.S. Very deep bodies of water would tend to appear black or very dark blue maybe unless the sunlight hit it in just the right way.
    Last edited by allodial; 12-31-13 at 06:19 AM.
    All rights reserved. Without prejudice. No liability assumed. No value assured.

"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
    "It is the glory of God to conceal a thing: but the honour of kings is to search out a matter." Proverbs 25:2
    Prove all things; hold fast that which is good. Thess. 5:21.

Those are some awesome pics. I set my desktop to the first one. Makes one hell of a desktop.

Quote Originally Posted by pumpkin View Post
    Those are some awesome pics. I set my desktop to the first one. Makes one hell of a desktop.
    I'm with you - awesome!