"Now one thing peculiar about Nickname's endeavor is that she was fined over $1K and jailed for a week upon conviction because she had no proof of insurance even though she showed a valid proof-of-insurance card and had been paying premiums up-to-date!" Wow, I have been waiting to see if anyone would substantiate this and indeed it is going on, probably in all states now ... I heard about this gov. money making scam through a man in the midwest perhaps a year ago who explained what happened to him. The cop pulled him over, for no reason other than the cop pulled up behind him and ran his plates. When pulled over the cop said "our records show you do not have current insurance", upon which the man opened the glove box and proffered the proof of current insurance card. The cop said, sorry but our records show you don't have current insurance and therefore I am going to have to confiscate your plates and tags. You will be required to come down to the DMV and show your proof of insurance and re-purchase the plates and the tags at that point. Have a nice day." Now, what I came away with is the substantiation that now it is POLICY for gov. to go off of their own records about you, regardless if correct, wrong, falsified etc. That is BY FAR the bigger threat here.