Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Egregores

Egregores

Attachment 1840

More coming soon....
    Last edited by allodial; 07-17-14 at 12:04 AM.
    All rights reserved. Without prejudice. No liability assumed. No value assured.

"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
    "It is the glory of God to conceal a thing: but the honour of kings is to search out a matter." Proverbs 25:2
    Prove all things; hold fast that which is good. Thess. 5:21.

hi allodial, interesting topic to me that I still dont quite comprehend. looking forward to more about it from you. I have enjoyed reading much of your posts here, only recently started posting myself though.

thanks

I once listed to a talk/sermon given by a Ravvi Zacharias. He was talking to a man who was Muslim but who was for some reason keen on learning more about Biblical Christianity. It was interesting that the centerpiece was in that those who are about truth seek truth--that they draw it to them powerfully. So this thread was started a while back and now continued with delay. I had come across the concept of egregores some time ago. The importance of the topic IMHO is in comprehending that there are those might consciously using this knowledge against masses if they can and also in comprehending why social systems or governments might get to a point where they seem to take far more than they give back.

Let's start off into deeper discussion with mention of the Philip Experiment which seems worth of note although that is said to pertain to a "tulpa" rather than an egregore.

The Philip experiment

In the 1970's, a group of Canadian parapsychologists wanted to attempt an experiment to create a ghost, proving their theory that the human mind can produce spirits through expectation, imagination and visualization.

The actual experiment took place in Toronto, Canada, in 1972, under the direction of the world-renown expert on poltergeists, Dr A. R. G. Owen.

The members of the experiment proposed an idea... by using extreme and prolonged concentration, they could create their ghost through a collective thought form: Non-physical entities which exist in either the mental or astral plane. In order to create this ghost and make it as 'real' as possible, it needed a life story; a background in which the ghost could 'relate' to.

They named the ghost they were attempting to bring into focus "Philip Aylesford" and created a tragic story, explaining to the fullest and in great detail, his life, and the few actions that lead to his tragic death.

Step two was contacting Philip. In September 1972, the group began their "sittings" and after some initial problems the group attempted to duplicate the atmosphere of a classic spiritualist séance. They dimmed the room's lights, sat around a table and surrounded themselves with pictures of the type of castle they imagined Philip would have lived in, as well as objects from that time period.

Within a few weeks, Philip made contact. Although he did not manifest in spiritual form, appearing as an apparition or ghost, he did make contact through a brief rap on the group's table. "Philip" answered questions that were consistent with his fictitious history, but was unable to provide any information beyond that which the group had conceived. However, "Philip" did give other historically accurate information about real events and people. The Owen group theorized that this latter information came from their own collective unconsciousness.

The sessions took off from there, producing a range of phenomena that could not be explained scientifically. His "spirit" was able to move the table, sliding it from side to side. On more than one occasion, the table chased someone across the room. All hands were clear of the table when this occurred.

In conclusion the experimenters were never able to prove the 'how' and the 'why' behind Philip's manifestation. Was Philip a direct result of the group's collective subconscious or perhaps did they conjure an actual entity that simply latched onto the story?

While some would conclude that they prove that ghosts don't exist, that such things are in our minds only, others say that our unconscious could be responsible for this kind of the phenomena some of the time.

Another point of view is that even though Philip was completely fictional, the Owen group really did contact the spirit world. A playful (or perhaps demonic, some would argue) spirit took the opportunity of these séances to 'act' as Philip and produce the extraordinary psychokinetic phenomena recorded.

Whatever caused the manifestation it seems that it adapted itself to the expectation of the audience, playing the role of the spirit they intended to contact. Since all was based on fiction it could not be the spirit of Philip so what else could it be?
    So of course I'm far from promoting seances or strange practices. However, its interesting the idea that, say, with legal entities such as corporations, not existing in Nature. But the question is, do they exist in some manner? Why were the forms of 'beasts' in Daniel seen as they were? Is that the form they took in a 'spiritual' sense even though not apparent to the physical eye?

It just seems fascinating in the descriptions given to the natures of egregores that when they decay, they are said to draw lots from their 'members' or 'participants' while giving very little--fascinating in that it seems too uncanny to overlook that in view of how some describe their experiences with many US cities or or various Governments.

What is an egregore? According to various sources:

An egregore is a thoughtform, a creation of the human mind.
    An egregore is a manifestation of a group consciousness, which can become powerful enough to take on a life of its own. It becomes driven by the collective (and often unintentional) willpower of large numbers of people.
    I knew someone who had very clear and distinct dreams but realized the moment he started a full time employment job, his mind..his vision just...got clouded. But once he left the job, after a while (recovery?) his head was clear again? As I read about egregores, I couldn't help but recall such.

Again, one source mentions decaying egregores and it just seemed too truthful or pragmatic to disregard:

Healthy egregores will share their energy with their members, while decaying egregores will suck in more than they give away – as they are only concerned with their own survival. The egregore which dominates our civilisation at the moment is only using people as its “food”, exploiting their energy and trying to squeeze of them everything it can, giving very little in return (it pushes people to pursue the wrong goals and make choices they wouldn’t normally make – just {s}o they release lots of their energy.) Basically, it drags people away from their real ... goals, because those are not important for the survival of the egregore.
    Further ...

These egregores are what was described by Charles Baudelaire as huge Chimeras on our backs, which pull us down and feed on our energy, but which we nevertheless consider to be a natural part of ourselves. Only looking from the outside of the system helps us to understand how ridiculous that believe is.
    What is a 'chimera'?

The Chimera was, according to Greek mythology, a monstrous fire-breathing hybrid creature of Lycia in Asia Minor, composed of the parts of more than one animal. Usually depicted as a lioness with full breasts, with the head of a goat arising from her back, and a tail that might end with a snake's head,[1] the Chimera was one of the offspring of Typhon and Echidna and a sibling of such monsters as Cerberus and the Lernaean Hydra.
    Even if one finds this all to be nonsense, there apparently have existed many who not only believe in such but who have used their knowledge for sinister purposes.

Might diversity of citizenship or nationality translate into a chimera being denied access?

Attachment 1908

Related:

To Each His Own Chimera (Re: Charles Baudelaire)
    The Philip Experiment
    Doppelgänger
    Last edited by allodial; 09-10-14 at 06:06 AM.

"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
    "It is the glory of God to conceal a thing: but the honour of kings is to search out a matter." Proverbs 25:2

oh yeah.. I knew it was heavy, just didnt grasp how heavy!

as an example then. it doesnt matter if one believes in (insert any religions deity here) or not, the collective does.

I think I was first introduced to this word (egregore) when researching psychology. very powerful either way it seems and makes me wonder how it relates to the archons.

wow

Its rather well know among fantasy buffs that dragons can take on human form.

Quote Originally Posted by george View Post
    wonder how it relates to the archons.

they seem very related.. except the Archons are said to have been created in the beginning.

Egregores are strictly a human creation, no?

edit: just a thought..

we can plan what to say/write, we can plan out our day tomorrow, we can even plan out our week, even months and years ahead.. maybe we should plan ahead our afterlife? fascinating! not sure why I was compelled to write this here but it is something to think about.

2nd edit: the legal name! its an egregore! OH $#!^
    Last edited by george; 09-12-14 at 01:28 AM.

2nd edit: the legal name! its an egregore! OH $#!^
    And so must be the given name, or any other name.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Alan View Post
    And so must be the given name, or any other name.
    those dont take on a life of their own like the legal name (legal fiction) though, that legal name, not only comes to life but is immortal in the same sense.

An egregore is a manifestation of a group consciousness, which can become powerful enough to take on a life of its own. It becomes driven by the collective (and often unintentional) willpower of large numbers of people.

it is said that the ancient egyptians used sounds and tones to bring things to life, a name has a sound and a tone.
    Last edited by george; 09-12-14 at 02:10 PM.

the legal name! its an egregore! OH $#!^
    You just might be onto something.

Quote Originally Posted by allodial View Post
    You just might be onto something.
    or something else..

http://www.archangels-and-angels.com/misc/grigori.html

The word "egregore" (also "grigori") is a transliteration of the Greek word, egregoroi, meaning "watchers". This word appears in the septuagint translation of the Book of Lamentations, as well as the Book of Jubilees and the Book of Enoch.

Therefore an egregore is an angel, sometimes called watcher; in Hebrew the word is ir, and the concept appears in The Book of Enoch. Thus, Irim, the city of the Nephilim is again linked with the Book of Enoch, since the Nephilim, according to that Book, were the sons of the Irim (the egregores.). .Although the Irim, the egregores, are angels on both sides of the camp - fallen angels as well as faithful ones.
    Hmmm..

and from http://www.illuminati-news.com/00360.html we have:
    Understanding the Occult: What is an Egregore?
    by Theron Dunn, 32° Freemason

This is the spirit the egregore connects us with that fills us and carries us. It is this spirit that breathes in us, inspires us with brotherly love, relief, truth and charity.
    OK..

then this:
    according to Guénon that an egregore is a manifestation of psychic energy, as opposed to a spiritual force as the occultists would define it.
    I find this distinction most interesting because to me these two are one. I need to contemplate this more.

thanks
    Last edited by george; 09-15-14 at 01:26 AM.