For the past two years, when time permits, I go through Black's 5th, Ballentine's 3rd and Bouvier's 1856 legal dictionaries pulling out and organizing legal maxims. Currently, I have 51 pages of legal maxims at my disposal. I feel many legal issues can be controlled with the use of legal maxims. Also, I feel many legal maxims are currently in use against the people without their knowledge. Consequentially, when a legal issue arises they are at a disadvantage.

It is my hope that daily, or atleast 5 times a week, I will post a maxim and give my commentary on it. Feel free to add your comments as no one knows it all, but with many, all can comprehend.

With that said here is the first maxim:
#1 In order rightly to comprehend a thing, inquire first into the names, for a right knowledge of things depends upon their names.

This maxim is first due to its importance in all business dealings. Whenever you contract or engage with another person, the law presumes you understand the nature of the person you are dealing with. This maxim also applies to commercial instruments, such as FRNs. Unqualified use and acceptance of a FRN obligates you to contractual obligations between the fed and the U.S..

Before you do any business dealings, learn the nature of the person. Be careful of your associations. Hanging out with a neverdowell does not improve your reputation.

Delawarejones