Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCash View Post
    ...... The IRS fears me. ......

!!

Touché.....

JohnnyCash

Get Your Billions Back, America

6 - INCOME

OK let's finish our return & get it filed before the Feds run out of $ and declare the Bankers Holiday. Finish up the INCOME section listing all reported income (or, all the reported income you're comfortable listing). Don't overlook bank interest which will be reported on Form 1099-INT. Investment income will likely show up on Form 1099-DIV. If you paid mortgage interest last year it will be reported on Form 1098, and that means: they presume you paid the interest with Federal Reserve currency (would look odd if you had only $5000 income and paid $11000 in mortgage interest).

At the end of the section you get to Other Income - Miscellaneous and it's here you enter total redeemed Lawful Money for the year, as a negative amount. A simple total of LM amounts/checks either cashed or deposited. But once again, no more LM than was listed on income lines above. In the description I put: Demand for Lawful Money 12 USC 411. This will create a page titled Other Income - Supporting Details for Form 1040, Line 21 for you to file, like this ...
    Name:  other_income.jpg
Views: 2633
Size:  137.3 KB

JohnnyCash

7 - DEDUCTIONS

Next we're asked questions about Deductions, as shown on the list below. Then you'll be asked if you wish to Itemize or take the Standard Deduction. This year (2014), the standard deduction rises to $6,200 for single & married taxpayers filing separately. The standard deduction is $12,400 for married couples filing jointly and $9,100 for heads of household. We took the standard deduction but if you paid large amounts on medical, charities, interest, etc., then try the Itemized deduction - it may give a better refund.

Educator expenses
    Certain business expenses of reservists
    Health savings account deduction
    Moving expenses
    Deductible part of self-employment tax
    Self-employed SEP, SIMPLE, qualified plans
    Self-employment health insurance deduction
    Penalty on early withdrawal of savings
    Alimony paid
    IRA deduction
    Student loan interest deduction
    Tuition and fees deduction
    Domestic production activities deduction
    Other miscellaneous deductions
    Standard deduction
    Exemption allowance
    Itemized deduction - Medical/dental expenses
    Itemized deduction - Taxes you paid
    Itemized deduction - Interest you paid
    Itemized deduction - Gifts to charity
    Itemized deduction - Casualty and theft loss
    Itemized deduction - Miscellaneous
    Itemized deduction - Other miscellaneous

JohnnyCash

8 - CREDITS

Next section of the Federal Q&A tab are the Credits. The program will ask questions about various credits you might be eligible for, as listed below. We usually get a few of these Credits. The Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) is available to lower income filers. For example, married filing jointly with an AGI less than $52,427 qualifies for an EITC of up to $6143. The maximum Earned Income Credit for individual filers this year is $496. http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/EITC-...ax-Law-Updates
    Illegal aliens can file returns (for the past 3 years) and get the EITC returned as a refund, once they obtain a SSN: http://savingtosuitorsclub.net/showt...et-IRS-refunds

NOTE that as you go through, TaxACT occasionally offers various features & upgrades at additional cost. I answer "No" or "Skip" to these and find the free software does a great job.

Foreign tax credit
    Child and dependent care expenses
    Education credits
    Retirement savings contributions credit
    Net premium tax credit
    Child tax credit
    Residential energy credits
    Other credits
    Federal income tax withheld
    Estimated tax payments/prior year applied
    Earned income credit
    Additional child tax credit
    American opportunity credit
    Amount paid with extension
    Excess social security and tier I RRTA:
    Fuel tax credit
    Other payments
    Last edited by JohnnyCash; 02-15-15 at 05:17 AM.

JohnnyCash

9 - TAXES

Next is the Taxes Examiner questions (summarized below) to determine if you're liable for any other odd taxes. Of interest here is the Self-employment tax. If you have income from "self-employment" then you'll owe SS & Medicare taxes on it so it's advantageous to avoid having such "income."

Alternative minimum tax
    Excess advance premium tax credit repayment
    Self-employment tax
    Unreported social security and Medicare tax
    Additional tax on qualified plans
    Taxes for household employees
    Repayment of first-time homebuyer credit
    Individual shared responsibility payment
    Additional Medicare tax
    Net investment income tax
    Other taxes

JohnnyCash
    We have some reports of TaxACT not presenting the "Student Status" and "Can you be claimed as a dependent on someone else's return?" questions under the Basic Info tab in the "Personal Info" area. May be a glitch in the program. If you experience this, go Back to the first screen in this section and remove the "Date of Birth" entry; should fix it.
    Last edited by JohnnyCash; 02-15-15 at 07:58 PM.

JohnnyCash

10 - Miscellaneous Examiner

The final Federal Q&A section is Miscellaneous. Most folks have no reason to deal with anything here. But take a look and see if anything applies.

Lump-sum payment of social security benefits
    Excess farm loss
    2015 estimated tax payments
    Underpayment penalty
    Reduction of tax attributes due to discharge of indebtedness (Form 982)
    Claim for a refund due a deceased person (Form 1310)
    Multiple support declaration for claiming a dependent
    Release/Revocation of release of claim to an exemption
    Injured spouse relief
    IRS installment payment plan request
    Third party designee
    In care of (To have your refund sent in care of another person)
    Combat zone
    Disaster designation

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCash View Post
    9 - TAXES

Next is the Taxes Examiner questions (summarized below) to determine if you're liable for any other odd taxes. Of interest here is the Self-employment tax. If you have income from "self-employment" then you'll owe SS & Medicare taxes on it so it's advantageous to avoid having such "income."

Alternative minimum tax
    Excess advance premium tax credit repayment
    Self-employment tax
    Unreported social security and Medicare tax
    Additional tax on qualified plans
    Taxes for household employees
    Repayment of first-time homebuyer credit
    Individual shared responsibility payment
    Additional Medicare tax
    Net investment income tax
    Other taxes
    For clarification, regardless of the LM demand or not on all checks received making up the entire income from Self-Employment minus deductions, Schedule SE is required and one must pay SS and Medicare taxes? The LM demand can not provide any reduction with FICA or Medicare and SS taxes? The LM demand reduction is only for federal income taxes. Also what is your recommendation, "to avoid having such self-employment income"? thanks

Noah
    Got my state refund today! Don't think I ever got one this early. Did federal return on paper along with redeemed lawful money evidence and waiting on that. State offers a free e-File.gov so I started it but noticed it would not allow a negative amount for Other Income lawful money, so decided to just not include my LM receipts as income. Worked great.

Salsero, once I began redeeming lawful money i realized it changed the nature of my income. It wasn't federal income anymore, it wasn't "self-employment" income anymore and did not need to be included on tax return. Redeeming LM also changed my own nature but that's a whole nother story.