Taking Isaiah 55 in context...

Isaiah 52

The Lord’s Coming Salvation and His punishment endured for our sake.

Isaiah 53

It was God's Will that He should be punished and sacrificed in order to redeem many through His intercession.

Isaiah 54

The Eternal Promise of Peace, through Him, for those who believe and who suffer and are counted as the least in this world.

Isaiah 55

The Compassion of God - This is a prophecy of The One who will Come and Live among us.

1 "Come, everyone who thirsts, come to the waters; and he who has no money, come, buy and eat! Come, buy wine and milk without money and without price.

The call of the "thirsty" and "hungry" by Jesus to come "drink" and "eat" from His offerings without the requirement of money; He gives of Himself freely.

2 Why do you spend your money for that which is not bread, and your labor for that which does not satisfy? Listen diligently to me, and eat what is good, and delight yourselves in rich food.

Stop worrying about worldly/fleshly needs and be truly satisfied, spiritually, by taking in what Jesus has to give.

3 Incline your ear, and come to me; hear, that your soul may live; and I will make with you an everlasting covenant, my steadfast, sure love for David.

Listen and believe that you will live forever by my promise and love as revealed to David.

4 Behold, I made him a witness to the peoples, a leader and commander for the peoples.

David believed and he was rewarded by being appointed to a high position.

5 Behold, you shall call a nation that you do not know, and a nation that did not know you shall run to you, because of the LORD your God, and of the Holy One of Israel, for he has glorified you.

Those who follow Jesus will call on people whom they do not know and they will heed that call because God works His Will through you when you accept Jesus' glorification of you.

6 "Seek the LORD while he may be found; call upon him while he is near;

Be diligent in following His Way while there is time to yet find Him.

7 let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts: let him return to the LORD, that he may have compassion on him; and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon.

Those who are in knowing and willing rebellion against God will remain that way. Pray that when they return to Jesus, He has compassion and that our Father will pardon in great numbers.

8 For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, declares the LORD.
9 For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.

God's thoughts and ways are higher and wiser than we can imagine.

10 "For as the rain and the snow come down from heaven and do not return there but water the earth, making it bring forth and sprout, giving seed to the sower and bread to the eater,
11 so shall my word be that goes out from my mouth; it shall not return to me empty, but it shall accomplish that which I purpose, and shall succeed in the thing for which I sent it.

God's sending of Jesus is not without accomplishment; His whole purpose will be fulfilled and bear great fruit according to His intent.

12 "For you shall go out in joy and be led forth in peace; the mountains and the hills before you shall break forth into singing, and all the trees of the field shall clap their hands.

Jesus' followers will happily and peacefully go forth to spread the gospel; foreign people and familiar people will follow your lead and ALL the people in your midst will rejoice.

13 Instead of the thorn shall come up the cypress; instead of the brier shall come up the myrtle; and it shall make a name for the LORD, an everlasting sign that shall not be cut off."

You will bring up generations of righteous people, who would otherwise turn to evil, and they will glorify God; something that will never perish throughout eternity.

This is how I interpret these verses. It is Isaiah prophesying about the coming of Jesus The Christ and the great work He will do, as well as those who follow after Him.

I see no modern day "desert miracle" prophesied, as posed by the OT, revealed in this passage.