When Nashwan Fakhri bought a rundown corner store this winter on South Geddes Street in Syracuse, he was determined to make it a place where neighbors felt welcome.

Name:  sedra.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  85.2 KB

Fakhri said the city's code officer gave him a thumbs up to operate in December and he has since poured thousands of dollars into Sedra Market at 901 S. Geddes St. Fakhri, 26, said he has replaced flooring and part of the ceiling, painted, and installed video cameras and new freezers. He's also stocked the shelves and received the proper licenses to operate "honestly," he said.

So when the city's code enforcement office, along with police and firefighters, arrived unexpectedly Monday for a surprise inspection, he didn't think he had anything to worry about. But city officials weren't impressed. They cited Sedra Market with multiple major violations -- most of which Fakhri denies -- and then shut down the store. Officials posted a pre-printed letter, dated June 11, on the door Monday explaining that Sedra Market was "unfit for human occupancy."

Within hours, the store was back open.

"Yep, I'm open," Fakhri said Tuesday.

Attachment 2641

City officials got word that Sedra Market was back open.

"If they are open, they are doing so illegally and unlawfully," said Alexander Marion, a spokesman for Syracuse City Mayor Stephanie Miner. "They should not be open right now."

The city's director of code enforcement plans to meet with lawyers Wednesday morning to discuss their legal options, including an "order to show cause," Marion said. The city may ask a judge to order the store to be shut down, he said.
http://www.syracuse.com/crime/index....lly_video.html

So disgusting for these un-American bureaucrats to go after mom & pop stores over essentially trumped up charges! Code enforcement has waaaay too much power, I'm proud of this guy for standing up to the bullies. If the Founders were still alive, I have no doubt some heads would roll...