Thread: Adam, Satan, and the King of Tyre: The Interpretation of Ezekiel 28:11-19 in Late Ant

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Adam, Satan, and the King of Tyre: The Interpretation of Ezekiel 28:11-19 in Late Ant

Name:  51rIndxX73L.jpg
Views: 934
Size:  37.6 KB

The oracle against the King of Tyre, found in Ezekiel 28.12-19, is a difficult text that inspired diverse interpretations in Late Antiquity. For example, according to one rabbinic tradition the text spoke of the first man, Adam, while the Church Fathers found in the same text a description of the fall of Satan. This book studies the rabbinic sources, patristic literature, the Targum, and the ancient translations, and seeks to understand the reasons for the diverse interpretation, the interaction between the exegetical traditions and the communities of interpreters, in particular between Jews and Christians, and the effect the specific form and wording of the text had on the formation and development of each interpretation.
    I figure this book (pub 2012) might be of interest to many of you. In case you thought you knew it all...this puts a different perspective on the identity or nature of "helal" (translated "Lucifer" in Latin texts) referred to in the Book of Isaiah. Regarding the below links, I would tread prayerfully if not carefully but they are related to the book. The Lucifer translation is said to be 3rd century (isn't that when Manicheans and heretical Gnostics and others started co-opting the organic Ecclesia?) and beyond. To get to the quick, the first two pages of chapter 7 of the book (ie. the Conclusion) have been inserted below.
    Name:  AdamSatanAndTheKingOfTyreCh7p211.png
Views: 1030
Size:  206.0 KB
    Name:  AdamSatanAndTheKingOfTyreCh7p212.png
Views: 882
Size:  163.4 KB
    Anytime someone has mentioned the idea of (unregenerate) man being God or asserting fleshly "godship" based on Adamic lineage (such as being "the Master Race" because of being Adamic"--think again!) I would wonder if they had forgotten the story of the Fall. Could there be in existence any secret societies or any people who worship any man in his fallen state? Remember, the serpent in the Garden was offering a means to "be like gods".

Name:  AdamSatanAndTheKingOfTyreCh7p212_para3.png
Views: 1092
Size:  188.4 KB

MAN, however, is the one who has been all the things Isaiah 14 and Ezekiel 28 speak of; namely, LUCIFER, the resident of EDEN, the BEAUTIFUL ONE, the PRINCE OF GOD, even the SHINING CHERUB among the STONES OF FIRE. He was in Eden, the Garden of God, in Paradise, in Heaven, ruling from the Mountain of God and among the Stones of fire -- radiating the glory of his creator. Even so, it was in a pale light, for he was only a model of finished product. But we see Jesus the true shining one coming forth with the awesome splendor of all those things and more, for the increase of His government there shall be no end! Source: The Lucifer Question by Elwin R. Roach
    Name:  ChartFromDavidGreenArticleInTestimonyMag2006.png
Views: 1272
Size:  109.5 KB
    Table from September 2006 Testimony Magazine article by David Green (link below)
    So could there be any connection between those that deny Jesus Christ and who claim unregenerate (fallen) men to be God and who claim to be "God" based on being of the "Adamic" race as some "master race" descended from Adam? Even those who exalt Nimrod or or any man in his fallen or degenerate state "above all the stars in heaven"?

As to the identify of Lucifer, there are those who suggest the Lucifer to be the King of Tyre (i.e. Hiram--some suggest Hiram Abiff). At the very least, could it be that the particulars or details of Adam's fall are elucidated (related to us) and laid bare to us in the stories of pride and over-exaltation of those like the King of Tyre or like one or more kings of Babylon?

Isaiah 13—14 is an oracle against pride-filled Babylon whose spirit is well characterized in Nebuchadnezzar's arrogant boast, "Is not this the great Babylon I have built…by my mighty power and for the glory of my majesty?" See Daniel 4:30 and see Isaiah 47 with its tripled arrogance, "I will continue forever—the eternal queen," (47:7) "I am, and there is none besides me. I will never be a widow," (47:8) "I am, and there is none besides me." (47:10) We're dealing with a human kingdom and with all too-human rulers. We would do well to pay special attention to Daniel 2:37-38 which echoes the dominion speech of Genesis 1:28. As Adam was given dominion and sought sinful independence so Nebuchadnezzar was given dominion and recapitulated the Adamic sin of dismissing God and acting as a god to rival God. The whole of Daniel 4 is God's threat against pride and arrogance and Isaiah 13—14 adds to the picture. Source: Satan and the Kings Of Tyre and Babylon by Jim McGuiggan (link below)
    In any case, the above doesn't seem to evidence the idea of Adam having met with any "Serpent of Wisdom".

P.S. Remember when you read "son of man" in Isaiah 14 and in Ezekiel 28 it might be the same as "ben Adam/adam" or "son of Adam/adam" in Hebrew or Chaldee.

Related:
    Last edited by allodial; 07-21-15 at 08:04 PM.
    All rights reserved. Without prejudice. No liability assumed. No value assured.

"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
    "It is the glory of God to conceal a thing: but the honour of kings is to search out a matter." Proverbs 25:2
    Prove all things; hold fast that which is good. Thess. 5:21.