Thread: A worker who calls someone else the "N-word" on the job often gets fired

Thumbs up A worker who calls someone else the "N-word" on the job often gets fired

But what about a worker who calls himself the N-word?

That was the question Syracuse officials had to decide in the case of Todd Gordon, a black Department of Public Works employee. The city chose to fire him.

Gordon was working as a street repairman in the city's Department of Public Works in October when another worker objected to their job assignments.

The other worker, Ed Firnstein, went into a supervisor's office to complain that he should have been assigned a roller truck instead of a dump truck, Gordon said. Firnstein, who's white, wanted to switch assignments with Gordon, who had less time on the job.

Name:  Todd Gordon.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  71.7 KB

Gordon went in the office and objected. Firnstein called him a "f------ punk," according to Gordon.

"You know what, man? I'm tired of this. You don't like working with (N-words) like me," Gordon responded.

Four months later, the city fired him for using the racial slur.
    http://www.syracuse.com/state/index....he_n-word.html

The Leftists have truly killed the 1st. Amendment off in the nation, we'll be buring books next like in Farenheit 451. Ray Bradbury saw the future our Founders didn't want us to have.

Quote Originally Posted by loveunderlaw View Post
    The Leftists have truly killed the 1st. Amendment off in the nation, we'll be buring books next like in Farenheit 451. Ray Bradbury saw the future our Founders didn't want us to have.
    When Emotion rules the Mind then there can be no unity. And all the "government programs" in the world will not change one iota of compelled consent upon the ignorant. I love the linked song - listen carefully - unity is the goal but compelled unity only leads to repression and regression.

All the muscles in the world cannot save a man [Mind] that is compelled to perform by Emotion [Woman].

One

Says the man [mind] that has learned to see - I feel angry, violent and alone. For while everyone is looking outside for change - real change will only occur when it happens WITHIN the man in the mirror.

Best Regards,
    Michael Joseph
    The blessing is in the hand of the doer. Faith absent deeds is dead.

Lawful Money Trust Website

Divine Mind Community Call - Sundays 8pm EST

ONE man or woman can make a difference!

That seems quite equitable that anyone using such slurs while working on a public gig should be fired whether its an Hispanic making a slur against another Hispanic or the like.
    All rights reserved. Without prejudice. No liability assumed. No value assured.

"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
    "It is the glory of God to conceal a thing: but the honour of kings is to search out a matter." Proverbs 25:2
    Prove all things; hold fast that which is good. Thess. 5:21.

Quote Originally Posted by allodial View Post
    That seems quite equitable that anyone using such slurs while working on a public gig should be fired whether its an Hispanic making a slur against another Hispanic or the like.

Well they have to keep up appearances too, I suppose in their mind he can't insult himself in the workplace due to their employee conduct rules, If he signed their contract with no reservation of his rights, then he's at their mercy.

If it came to my court, I'd uphold his being fired only if he directed at someone else. But the way he used it as I looked at it again, a simple reprimand on the basis of work professionalism should suffice. However, whether its two Hispanics, Jews, Blacks, Asian or so-called "Gays" making slurs against each other I'd uphold a firing in such a case. Consider two "Blacks" using the n-word might encourage some Irish-American to use it with harmless intent--next thing 'brawl', lawsuit over 'racism'--umm no. There is a principle: "Settle it at the lowest level." IMHO, the employer did just that.

"Sorry" you're not on movie set, you're at work--be professional."
    Gordon met with city officials when they told him he was fired.

"Downtown has zero tolerance for the word you used," DPW Deputy Commissioner Martin Davis told Gordon at the January meeting. "White people get fired for using that word, and now they're holding you to it. They are not tolerating that and they will not put up with it. There's no wiggle room out of that one."
    "It's still a use in the work place," he said. "Even if he was singing a Jay-Z song, it's still in the work place. If you're in the work space, the language has to be appropriate for that space."
    Well, really, I'd have to concur. It promotes professionalism and equity.
    Last edited by allodial; 08-15-15 at 01:22 AM.
    All rights reserved. Without prejudice. No liability assumed. No value assured.

"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
    "It is the glory of God to conceal a thing: but the honour of kings is to search out a matter." Proverbs 25:2
    Prove all things; hold fast that which is good. Thess. 5:21.