I still do not comprehend, nor understand, why the ability to see the deeper meanings of, and in, people and events in scripture requires the acceptance that the people and events of scripture never really existed or occurred as depicted.

The actions of people, whether then or now, reflect either true or false interpretation of the text. The Scriptures cannot be fully and accurately interpreted by "moderns" if we filter them with our "modern" culture and worldview.

I believe it is vitally important to research and study the language and culture of the people to whom scripture was Divinely inspired to write. We must think like an "Israelite" in order to interpret through the worldview of the Israelites who wrote the words we read and study.

In my opinion, that doesn't mean that once we do this, we inevitably find out that the people and events written about are merely allegorical having had no real and earthly experiences or lives as we do.

The terrestrial and tangible earth is not a figment of imagination nor was it created as inherently evil; God said it was good. Currently, it is in a fallen state as we can plainly see death, evil and destruction all around us. The promise is that it will be restored, along with us, when this age of evil and destruction is ended.

This will not mean we will finally realize we, the heavens and earth and all of creation were all merely "allegories"... in my humble opinion.