Thread: Civil or Common Law Notary

Civil or Common Law Notary

Civil or Common Law “Notary”

Like it or not two different forms of law are alive and well in the Western world. Civil and Common Law “courts” exist and have their own requirements.

So what’s the chances if you are in a “civil case” jurisdiction that a requirement would be that the “notary” be a civil law notary?? Seems likely and if it is and you used a Common Law notary.. well they may not “see” the papers. It would be an instrument in the wrong form.

A civil law notary is also called a lawyer …. With certain expertise .. so what’s the chance some attorneys at law might have expertise in these fields? Who else can the be??

Why it matters is, that a civil law notary instrument is considered a self-authenticating public instrument. And so if you get them to “witness” your signature, then that document has full faith and credit in all courts. https://robcourtofrecord.wordpress.c...on-law-notary/
    "And if I could I surely would Stand on the rock that Moses stood"

Quote Originally Posted by Chex View Post
    Civil or Common Law “Notary”

Like it or not two different forms of law are alive and well in the Western world. Civil and Common Law “courts” exist and have their own requirements.

So what’s the chances if you are in a “civil case” jurisdiction that a requirement would be that the “notary” be a civil law notary?? Seems likely and if it is and you used a Common Law notary.. well they may not “see” the papers. It would be an instrument in the wrong form.

A civil law notary is also called a lawyer …. With certain expertise .. so what’s the chance some attorneys at law might have expertise in these fields? Who else can the be??

Why it matters is, that a civil law notary instrument is considered a self-authenticating public instrument. And so if you get them to “witness” your signature, then that document has full faith and credit in all courts. https://robcourtofrecord.wordpress.c...on-law-notary/
    good info, and thanks for reminding me about robcourtofrecord too, havnt tuned in there in a few weeks now. I like his style.

Ive also read that a common law notary is AKA Justice of the peace.

thanks