I read in the Bible that those we perceive as enemies are to be forgiven with acts of kindness. We give our enemies food if they hunger. We give them water if they thirst...

Then we heap coals upon their heads?

I always thought this meant we were to cause them pain and get vengeance somehow, maybe it meant to embarrass them? - Make them uncomfortable at the least?

Nope. Heaping coals on an enemy's head is an additional act of kindness and is to be taken in that context. Especially famous, the Temple of Athena gave fire to the congregants. A traditional bucket is no good for carrying home coals because heat rises. So an insulated bucket was carried on the head. People who lived in the cities could not cut down all the trees for firewood, or maybe there were no trees in and around town because they did. So the people became congregants to the local Temple religions by and large for the benefits - one of which was coals for heating home-cooked meals.

This is calming to understand, yet troubling too. I had it in my previous interpretation that I was justified in gaining a certain amount of revenge, even while forgiving. Now I simply know that we forgive and that is the only way to restore and remember love.

Love,

David Merrill.