Thread: God As Father In the Old Tesament Texts

God As Father In the Old Tesament Texts

Did anyone ever refer to God as their father in the Old Testament? Yes. Did God himself refer to himself as Father of anyone? Yes. This is far from being a "New Testament" concept!

"Do ye thus requite the LORD, O foolish people and unwise? is not he thy father that hath bought thee? hath he not made thee, and established thee?" Deuteronomy 32:6

And David said to Solomon, My son, as for me, it was in my mind to build an house unto the name of the LORD my God: But the word of the LORD came to me, saying, Thou hast shed blood abundantly, and hast made great wars: thou shalt not build an house unto my name, because thou hast shed much blood upon the earth in my sight. Behold, a son shall be born to thee, who shall be a man of rest; and I will give him rest from all his enemies round about: for his name shall be Solomon, and I will give peace and quietness unto Israel in his days. He shall build an house for my name; and he shall be my son, and I will be his father; and I will establish the throne of his kingdom over Israel for ever.

"My son, keep your father's commandment, and forsake not your mother's teaching." Proverbs 6:20

"For thou art our Father, though Abraham does not know us and Israel does not acknowledge us; thou, O LORD, art our Father, our Redeemer from of old is thy name." Isaiah 63:16

"Yet, O LORD, thou art our Father; we are the clay, and thou art our potter; we are all the work of thy hand." Isa.64: 8

"I thought how I would set you among my sons, and give you a pleasant land, a heritage most beauteous of all nations. And I thought you would call me, My Father, and would not turn from following me." Jeremiah 3:19

Name:  ab_father_strongs.png
Views: 129
Size:  111.7 KB

Related:
    Last edited by allodial; 09-22-15 at 06:46 PM.
    All rights reserved. Without prejudice. No liability assumed. No value assured.

"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
    "It is the glory of God to conceal a thing: but the honour of kings is to search out a matter." Proverbs 25:2
    Prove all things; hold fast that which is good. Thess. 5:21.