Thread: Adventures in land ownership

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Continuing:
    I acquired another adjacent 5 acres some years down the road from my mother, who gave it to me as a wedding present.
    She had originally bought it to build a cabin on it, so she could visit me and spend time in the woods.
    Then she realized she liked neither the climate, nor the chiggers (red bugs), nor the native Tennessean culture, and especially not my new husband, so voilà - the perfect wedding gift.
    I am very grateful and appreciative of this of course and I do count my blessings, realizing my unworthiness

This tract of land had been bought for $15,000, paid in cashier's check in a private deal with the neighbors, who also live next door.
    The Warranty Deed shows as purchase price the $ amount of an old assessment value though.
    Interesting how that works.
    Again, it seems like it was unnecessary to put any price on there, because none of the previous owners' deeds showed purchase prices. These are private land deals after all.
    Attorned again, this time by a new lawyer, who took over that only law office, after the previous lawyer I had dealt with was promoted to county court judge.
    I noticed that the new lawyer did not utilize the blue paper wrappers, which the previous lawyer had been in the habit of stapling to the deed documents.

I did not purchase title insurance on this one.
    My mother had purchased the title insurance, and I was getting tired of being attorned, so I let it go. I figured the title was probably good.
    I had to pay a transfer tax at the court house again when I registered my deed.

Attached is the Warranty Deed for the 5 acres.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Treefarmer

There is power in the blood of Jesus