Greetings all! My first post. Came here from the Fed Reserve post on GLP.

I think I have a somewhat unique situation which throws a twist into the mix, which hopefully someone may be able to shed some light on.

I was born and reared in NYC. My mother was born in the uSA, and father overseas in Europe. Now, here's the interesting part...

My father's surname is ethnic and comprised of 10 letters. My mother took my father's surname when they married. BUT, when I was born, they wanted to shorten my surname to 6 letters... and they did. On "my" birth certificate, my mother is only listed with her maiden name, but father's name is listed as the shortened 6 letter name... which tells me, no ID was (or is?) required... at least it probably wasn't way back then…(in the 50s) With this as the only exception, my father always used his full 10 letter name.

So now I have a unique surname that noone else has (except for my father listed on "my" bc). The question is, how does my father's 10 letter surname relate to me? Legally? Lawfully? Without any court order for petition of name change.

I feel it's probably the name give to me by my father and mother that is lawfully mine… or is it? Confuses the heck out of me… lol.

And even more interesting is I have a copy of the original long form bc, and my full name is listed in upper and lower case letters. I recently got a copy of the short form bc, and of course it now has the name of the person on it, in all caps.

Well, there you have it. A sort of personal introduction.
Anyone care to comment on the questions?

Thank you all. This forum is spectacular! I've been studying "law" of all flavors for 25 years, and it's interesting how once in a while you find a rare jewel while traversing thru the rabbit hole…

Y'all take care!

logjam

who am I?