Thread: Is the office of magistrate a ministerial office?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Is the office of magistrate a ministerial office?

We all know (or should know) that a magistrate is a puisne judicial officer.

The distinction seems to be between judicial, quasi-judicial, and ministerial offices.

How come I feel like this is concerning if "the emperor has clothes" or not?

hi shikamaru

Quote Originally Posted by shikamaru View Post

The distinction seems to be between judicial, quasi-judicial, and ministerial offices.

magistrate is an interesting sound/word. me thinks it has something todo with imagination.

imagine the emperor naked?

Quote Originally Posted by shikamaru View Post

Cops are a type of magistrate--think, "justice of the peace" or "conservator of the peace".

In modern usage, a magistrate is a judge or lawyer who hears cases in courts. In the United Kingdom, the term magistrate usually refers to a volunteer of the Magistrates' Courts, whereas in North America it refers to an officer of the state. Formerly, in ancient Rome, a magistratus was one of the highest ranking government officers and possessed both judicial and executive powers. Today, in common law systems, a magistrate has limited law enforcement and administration authority. In civil law systems, a magistrate may be a judge in a superior court, where the magistrates' court might have jurisdiction over civil and criminal cases. A related but not always equivalent term is chief magistrate which historically can denote a political and administrative officer.
    All rights reserved. Without prejudice. No liability assumed. No value assured.

"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
    "It is the glory of God to conceal a thing: but the honour of kings is to search out a matter." Proverbs 25:2
    Prove all things; hold fast that which is good. Thess. 5:21.