Thread: Who is Peter Drucker, and What Did He Do With Our Church?

Who is Peter Drucker, and What Did He Do With Our Church? (MP3/Podcast)

Who is Peter Drucker, and What Did He Do With Our Church? MP3

Name:  Peter-Drucker-300x235.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  25.3 KB

Summary: The Post-Modern church is shaped around what has become the “business” of doing Church. The focus is on growing the numbers, defining the brand and making the customers happy, rather than focusing on feeding the sheep or equipping the saints to bring the Good News of the Gospel to those who don’t know Him.

Stand Up For The Truth is a radio and online ministry that covers news of the day, trends in the church and theological issues that Christians deal with and talk about every day, and we give you a place to be educated, equipped and connected to help you discern along the way. But most importantly, we point you to Christ Jesus as our Savior, and His Word – the Scriptures, as the truth that you can depend on. In fact, you should filter everything you read, hear and consume as a believer – including what you find on this program – through the Scriptures to see if it lines up.

What many of us don’t realize is that the Seeker-Driven model and the Emerging Church is a product created by and promoted by the “Druckerites,” or those who have been personally mentored and inspired by the late business guru Peter Drucker. Who is Peter Drucker? Today we’re going to talk about him and his influence on today’s visible church – and by the way just about every church has been touched and shaped in some way by Peter Drucker.

Joining us today is Mary Danielsen, a researcher and frequent guest on our program. You can find her reports on the high-tech influences used by world governments to keep tabs on its citizens. She shares this on her The Things to Come blog. Mary is also launching a new ministry feature here on our radio station called the 2-Minute Warning.

Full Audio Discussion / Podcast (mp3 - 51 minute 38 seconds - 20.7 MB)

Related:

It wasn’t just the Evangelical churches. My father was an Episcopal priest. Back in the early 70’s, he brought home some huge Drucker books that really impressed me (I still have a couple on my shelves). He and his friends – not just Anglicans, but a study group formed from all the denominations, including Orthodox and Catholic clergy – were reading Drucker, and had started to think in terms of results-based marketing, that measured things really possible and easy to measure. In other words, not catechetical adequacy or spiritual development, nor charitable works or evangelization (“outreach,” as Anglicans then began to call it), but attendance, collections, donations, planned gifts (bequests, gifts of life insurance policies, etc.), participation rates (in the various guilds and clubs), and that sort of thing. They looked up to Bob Schuller.

This was contemporaneous with the effort to make church “relevant to modern life,” so that it would have more sex appeal, and to make it less intellectually and morally demanding, and thus easier to market. It was then that all talk of sin, death, hell, miracles, the difficult bits of the Creed, or anything at all otherworldly or laborious vanished from the sermons. Everything in the Bible was interpreted in terms of “broken relationships” and “community.” It was also contemporaneous with the abandonment of ad orientem, the new Prayer Book and Hymnal, and the whole burlap and tambourine disaster.

By then I had already been exposed to the spooky old high religion, and this all struck me as a complete evisceration of the faith. It was dry as dust in my mouth. Looking back, I now see that it was just then that my own crisis of faith began. Thank God for the last relic of the Oxford Movement, my cathedral choir of men and boys, in which I sang throughout those years. If it had not been for that tradition, esteemed and beloved in the cathedral parish and the whole diocese, I am sure I would have fallen away altogether. comment from the above 'Related' link.
    Last edited by allodial; 03-05-16 at 07:19 PM.
    All rights reserved. Without prejudice. No liability assumed. No value assured.

"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
    "It is the glory of God to conceal a thing: but the honour of kings is to search out a matter." Proverbs 25:2
    Prove all things; hold fast that which is good. Thess. 5:21.