Thread: New York City couple faces criminal charges for violating Skaneateles rental law

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by David Merrill View Post
    I am associating the encroachment on property rights to home rule. Home rule is turning global anymore and seems to be a very high municipal jurisdiction. I believe that when the home rule legislation becomes contradictory to the constitutions that form home rule, then the authority becomes force.

Name:  Home Rule Rick Stanley small.jpg
Views: 433
Size:  123.5 KB
    I recall discussing that case with you. Good point. The impression I get of home rule cities and independent cities is that they are akin to colonies of the state. The Organic Laws of the United States of America, it seems still apply. I suspect if Rick Stanley could have asserted being in the county it might have been quite different. Also, I get the impression that in order to be "in a city" one has to have corporate existence. Wouldn't surprise me if he was likely regarded to be a resident of the city already. Wasn't that the case?

In Missouri, you have St. Louis County (a county which contains lots of municipal corporations), St. Louis City (a county) and The City of St. Louis (a municipal corporation and independent city that is technically contained in the county called St. Louis City). If your address is something "...St. Louis, Missouri" it could be any of the three.

The governmental structure of the City of St. Louis is unusual in the United States. Since 1876, St. Louis has been an independent city, meaning it is not part of any county. St. Louis operates as both a city and a county. St. Louis is the only city in Missouri which operates its own "county" offices. St. Louis is a home rule city, but it is not a home rule county, thus county functions and offices are subject to state restrictions on county governments. (St. Louis City government website)
    So there is a county and there is an independent city. The city of course only operates on that which is surely in its jurisdiction (city buildings, city parking lots, etc.). The city does not have arbitrary power or jurisdiction over everyone in St. Louis City (county). If a person that is a member or subject of The City of St. Louis municipal corporation has a complaint, then likely the sheriff will tell that person to complain to the mayor.

On Missouri revenue forms, the filer is asked what COUNTY they reside in. <<<

Quote Originally Posted by David Merrill View Post
    I believe that when the home rule legislation becomes contradictory to the constitutions that form home rule, then the authority becomes force.
    I suspect that such force could only lawfully operates on things corporate. If you fail to associate with the blood or with life...then perhaps you're fair game?

The City and County of Denver, the County of St. Louis City, the City of St. Louis and the City and County of San Francisco all have one thing in common AFAIK: there are city officers and there are county officers even when the city's external boundaries coincide with the county's external boundaries.

In St. Louis City, for example both the sheriff and the revenue collector are county officers. The treasurer is technically the Treasurer of the St. Louis City (county officer) but is also treasurer with respect to The City of St. Louis (ex officio).

Police officer: Do you live in the city?
    Of course, there are the Five Boroughs of New York City. Even upon close inspection, I suspect one will find county officers lurking between the lines.

Five of New York's counties are each coextensive with one of the five boroughs of New York City and do not have county governments. They are: New York County (Borough of Manhattan), Kings County (Borough of Brooklyn), Bronx County (Borough of the Bronx), Richmond County (Borough of Staten Island), and Queens County (Borough of Queens).
    Lacking government as in "executive departments", doesn't mean the sovereignty authority isn't there in some other form.
    Last edited by allodial; 04-05-16 at 01:19 AM.
    All rights reserved. Without prejudice. No liability assumed. No value assured.

"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
    "It is the glory of God to conceal a thing: but the honour of kings is to search out a matter." Proverbs 25:2
    Prove all things; hold fast that which is good. Thess. 5:21.