Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The East India Company: The Original Corporate Raiders

The (British) East India Company: The Original Corporate Raiders

The (British) East India Company: The Original Corporate Raiders
    For a century, the East India Company conquered, subjugated and plundered vast tracts of south Asia. The lessons of its brutal reign have never been more relevant

Name:  BEIC_Portrait.jpg
Views: 1181
Size:  191.6 KB

One of the very first Indian words to enter the English language was the Hindustani slang for plunder: “loot”. According to the Oxford English Dictionary, this word was rarely heard outside the plains of north India until the late 18th century, when it suddenly became a common term across Britain. To understand how and why it took root and flourished in so distant a landscape, one need only visit Powis Castle.

The last hereditary Welsh prince, Owain Gruffydd ap Gwenwynwyn, built Powis castle as a craggy fort in the 13th century; the estate was his reward for abandoning Wales to the rule of the English monarchy. But its most spectacular treasures date from a much later period of English conquest and appropriation: Powis is simply awash with loot from India, room after room of imperial plunder, extracted by the East India Company in the 18th century.

There are more Mughal artefacts stacked in this private house in the Welsh countryside than are on display at any one place in India – even the National Museum in Delhi. The riches include hookahs of burnished gold inlaid with empurpled ebony; superbly inscribed spinels and jewelled daggers; gleaming rubies the colour of pigeon’s blood and scatterings of lizard-green emeralds. There are talwars set with yellow topaz, ornaments of jade and ivory; silken hangings, statues of Hindu gods and coats of elephant armour.

Such is the dazzle of these treasures that, as a visitor last summer, I nearly missed the huge framed canvas that explains how they came to be here. The picture hangs in the shadows at the top of a dark, oak-panelled staircase. It is not a masterpiece, but it does repay close study. An effete Indian prince, wearing cloth of gold, sits high on his throne under a silken canopy. On his left stand scimitar and spear carrying officers from his own army; to his right, a group of powdered and periwigged Georgian gentlemen. The prince is eagerly thrusting a scroll into the hands of a statesmanlike, slightly overweight Englishman in a red frock coat.

The painting shows a scene from August 1765, when the young Mughal emperor Shah Alam, exiled from Delhi and defeated by East India Company troops, was forced into what we would now call an act of involuntary privatisation. The scroll is an order to dismiss his own Mughal revenue officials in Bengal, Bihar and Orissa, and replace them with a set of English traders appointed by Robert Clive – the new governor of Bengal – and the directors of the EIC, who the document describes as “the high and mighty, the noblest of exalted nobles, the chief of illustrious warriors, our faithful servants and sincere well-wishers, worthy of our royal favours, the English Company”. The collecting of Mughal taxes was henceforth subcontracted to a powerful multinational corporation – whose revenue-collecting operations were protected by its own private army.

It was at this moment that the East India Company (EIC) ceased to be a conventional corporation, trading and silks and spices, and became something much more unusual. Within a few years, 250 company clerks backed by the military force of 20,000 locally recruited Indian soldiers had become the effective rulers of Bengal. An international corporation was transforming itself into an aggressive colonial power.

Using its rapidly growing security force {*ARMY*} – its army had grown to 260,000 men by 1803 – it swiftly subdued and seized an entire subcontinent. Astonishingly, this took less than half a century. The first serious territorial conquests began in Bengal in 1756; 47 years later, the company’s reach extended as far north as the Mughal capital of Delhi, and almost all of India south of that city was by then effectively ruled from a boardroom in the City of London. “What honour is left to us?” asked a Mughal official named Narayan Singh, shortly after 1765, “when we have to take orders from a handful of traders who have not yet learned to wash their bottoms?”

We still talk about the British conquering India, but that phrase disguises a more sinister reality. It was not the British government {but who was the BEIC an agent of?} that seized India at the end of the 18th century, but a dangerously unregulated private company headquartered in one small office, five windows wide, in London, and managed in India by an unstable sociopath – Clive.

(Source/more)

Related:
    Commodore Perry and Japan (1853-1854)
    Last edited by allodial; 04-16-16 at 06:21 AM.
    All rights reserved. Without prejudice. No liability assumed. No value assured.

"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
    "It is the glory of God to conceal a thing: but the honour of kings is to search out a matter." Proverbs 25:2
    Prove all things; hold fast that which is good. Thess. 5:21.

Thanks again.

I was viewing that in terms of Dutch v. British rule over VOC. Either way, as you point out, a breach of trust to have a privately operated military force.

P.S. This brings up the history of Executive Order, especially warring without the prior approval of Congress. More recently I would say the execution of the three-day Bankers' Holiday upon 30-day Judgment of my Bill of Exchange; like I have pointed out, 371 years after my ancestral patent. I recall the 1917 Trading with the Enemy Act being cited while BUSH rammed the new War on Terrorism down Congress' throat.

I am of course anxious that somebody may mention the dead Presidents at my feet to the Secret Service:

I have mentioned WASHINGTON and even entertain the esoteric that George was killed in New York early in the Revolution, and replaced with Adam WEISHAUPT; albeit not seriously enough to defend. But we might examine some of the mischief arising out of killing LINCOLN prior to him declaring the Extraordinary Occasion over...

Pennsylvania - ROBINSON V COUNTRYWIDEName:  hide the truth.jpg
Views: 752
Size:  61.7 KB

I recall noting at the time, 153 years (the first Cube Sum Number Lock after 1) passing between April 15, 1861 and 2014.

Attachment 3894

It is most fetching how thin the veneer might actually be, between the Constitution (extraordinary occasion clause) and the original Charter of 1629?
    Last edited by David Merrill; 04-16-16 at 09:52 AM.

The phantom of the opera in the perfect image of a priest.
    The blessing is in the hand of the doer. Faith absent deeds is dead.

Lawful Money Trust Website

Divine Mind Community Call - Sundays 8pm EST

ONE man or woman can make a difference!

You make me wish I had paid more attention to the metaphors.

P.S. Zechariah transfigured across the Veil, only to become mute for the gestation period of John the Baptist. Is this so that uttering the Name of the Prophet would not interfere with the Creation Process?
    Last edited by David Merrill; 04-16-16 at 05:10 PM.

Dutch West Indies company was chiefly
    to exploit the indigenous peoples pun intended Starting a New World Order in 1654 New Amsterdam and Newport Rhode Island as the D-W-I-C headquarters yet the commercial instinctive truth is our merchandising monopoly
    were prevented by ordinances issued by governor of NEW YORK forbearance
    in the domestic economy however no federal reservations or reserves act yet. Discretion was
    quickly discovered that the territory inhabited by the
    Indians would be a fertile field there were no laws preventing the Dutch W I co from
    trading with the Indians.The trading with the enigmatic enemies act was a few beads barrels blankets away.Carpetbaggers a ALEXANDER HAMILTON process was in the new world.A revolutionary war and a few more masonic lodges later we got a commercial constitution a paper freedom that only bye signature and citizenship the declaration and state has been prepared bill of lading or Bill of rights its in exchange for what DEMAND or DEBT Tribe of Danny Boy the pipes a major factor is materialistic gain what does one gain with this knowledge that truth will set things right or beyond materialistic truth and its freedom to set a soul free,Greed has everything to gain for the greedy should i be surprised with spiritual greed .Do i need a lawful excuse to refuse legal judgement can i pay to the order do i belong too this order.Questioned freedoms and bills of exchange trading with the enemy endorsed signatories land titles treatises or trespassing. Profiteering Privateers the water mark its as pagan and as private as this kingdom can be yours beneath one materialistic sky however lookup the competition this flight has been commercially oversold .Delivered = Accounting who pays for ignorance the claimant.Who ignores the claimant becomes the claim . Masonic lodge and or Haudenosaunee longhouse 1722 (or thereabouts), the Tuscarora Nation from the region known as North Carolina, was admitted to the Confederacy under the sponsorship of the Oneida Nation. The Five Nations of the Haudenosaunee Confederacy thus became the Six Nations. The people of the Six Nations, also known by the French term, [Iroquois ] Confederacy, call themselves the Hau de no sau nee (ho dee noe sho nee) meaning People Building a Long House. Located in the northeastern region of North America, originally the Six Nations was five and included the Mohawks, Oneidas, Onondagas, Cayugas, and Senecas. The sixth nation, the Tuscaroras, migrated into Iroquois country in the early eighteenth century. Together these peoples comprise the oldest living participatory democracy on earth. Their story, and governance truly based on the consent of the governed, contains a great deal of life-promoting intelligence for those of us not familiar with this area of American history. The original United States representative democracy, fashioned by such central authors as Benjamin Franklin and Thomas Jefferson, drew much inspiration from this confederacy of nations. In our present day, we can benefit immensely, in our quest to establish anew a government truly dedicated to all life's liberty and happiness much as has been practiced by the Six Nations for over 800 hundred years. Nations were formed for commercial trade with this in mind trading a foreign state or interstate controlled commerce . Regarding the origination of the word Iroquois,
    Another matter that surprised many contemporary observers was the Iroquois' sophisticated use of oratory. Their excellence with the spoken word, among other attributes, often caused Colden and others to compare the Iroquois to the Romans and Greeks. The French use of the term Iroquois to describe the confederacy was itself related to this oral tradition; it came from the practice of ending their orations with the two words hiro and kone. The first meant "I say" or "I have said" and the second was an exclamation of joy or sorrow according to the circumstances of the speech. The two words, joined and made subject to French pronunciation, became Iroquois. The English were often exposed to the Iroquois' oratorical skills at eighteenth-century treaty councils. Yankee slick pass the talking stick.

Quote Originally Posted by xparte View Post
    to exploit the indigenous peoples pun intended Starting a New World Order in 1654...

The trading with the enigmatic enemies act...

The two words, joined and made subject to French pronunciation, became Iroquois. The English were often exposed to the Iroquois' oratorical skills at eighteenth-century treaty councils. Yankee slick pass the talking stick.
    Trading with the Enigmatic Enemies Act (1917) - It is tempting but I will refrain from stealing that.

Thank you for the Canadian perspective! Here we have all land westward of an eastern seaboard river granted to the US by the Iroquois Federation. - I thinks this is the perfect example of your point:

Name:  Treaty at Fort Stanwix PETERS cons Injuns.jpg
Views: 872
Size:  202.5 KB

Feeding on the ignorance about geography makes me wonder how the cajoling PETERS was affiliated with the VOC?

P.S. I have long associated the Treaty of Fort Stanwix with "consecration of the altar" as in sanctifying the transplant vineyard.

Name:  Daniel Calendar.jpg
Views: 764
Size:  103.2 KB
    Last edited by David Merrill; 04-16-16 at 07:13 PM.

Creation and communication are synonyms. Only beings of like order can truly communicate.

P.P.S.

https://youtu.be/ooomyvwkUkc

https://youtu.be/bRBiolyAREQ
    Last edited by David Merrill; 04-16-16 at 07:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xparte View Post
    to exploit the indigenous peoples pun intended Starting a New World Order in 1654 New Amsterdam and Newport Rhode Island as the D-W-I-C headquarters yet the commercial instinctive truth is our merchandising monopoly
    were prevented by ordinances issued by governor of NEW YORK forbearance
    in the domestic economy however no federal reservations or reserves act yet. Discretion was
    quickly discovered that the territory inhabited by the
    Indians would be a fertile field there were no laws preventing the Dutch W I co from
    trading with the Indians.The trading with the enigmatic enemies act was a few beads barrels blankets away.Carpetbaggers a ALEXANDER HAMILTON process was in the new world.A revolutionary war and a few more masonic lodges later we got a commercial constitution a paper freedom that only bye signature and citizenship the declaration and state has been prepared bill of lading or Bill of rights its in exchange for what DEMAND or DEBT Tribe of Danny Boy the pipes a major factor is materialistic gain what does one gain with this knowledge that truth will set things right or beyond materialistic truth and its freedom to set a soul free,Greed has everything to gain for the greedy should i be surprised with spiritual greed .Do i need a lawful excuse to refuse legal judgement can i pay to the order do i belong too this order.Questioned freedoms and bills of exchange trading with the enemy endorsed signatories land titles treatises or trespassing. Profiteering Privateers the water mark its as pagan and as private as this kingdom can be yours beneath one materialistic sky however lookup the competition this flight has been commercially oversold .Delivered = Accounting who pays for ignorance the claimant.Who ignores the claimant becomes the claim . Masonic lodge and or Haudenosaunee longhouse 1722 (or thereabouts), the Tuscarora Nation from the region known as North Carolina, was admitted to the Confederacy under the sponsorship of the Oneida Nation. The Five Nations of the Haudenosaunee Confederacy thus became the Six Nations. The people of the Six Nations, also known by the French term, [Iroquois ] Confederacy, call themselves the Hau de no sau nee (ho dee noe sho nee) meaning People Building a Long House. Located in the northeastern region of North America, originally the Six Nations was five and included the Mohawks, Oneidas, Onondagas, Cayugas, and Senecas. The sixth nation, the Tuscaroras, migrated into Iroquois country in the early eighteenth century. Together these peoples comprise the oldest living participatory democracy on earth. Their story, and governance truly based on the consent of the governed, contains a great deal of life-promoting intelligence for those of us not familiar with this area of American history. The original United States representative democracy, fashioned by such central authors as Benjamin Franklin and Thomas Jefferson, drew much inspiration from this confederacy of nations. In our present day, we can benefit immensely, in our quest to establish anew a government truly dedicated to all life's liberty and happiness much as has been practiced by the Six Nations for over 800 hundred years. Nations were formed for commercial trade with this in mind trading a foreign state or interstate controlled commerce . Regarding the origination of the word Iroquois,
    Another matter that surprised many contemporary observers was the Iroquois' sophisticated use of oratory. Their excellence with the spoken word, among other attributes, often caused Colden and others to compare the Iroquois to the Romans and Greeks. The French use of the term Iroquois to describe the confederacy was itself related to this oral tradition; it came from the practice of ending their orations with the two words hiro and kone. The first meant "I say" or "I have said" and the second was an exclamation of joy or sorrow according to the circumstances of the speech. The two words, joined and made subject to French pronunciation, became Iroquois. The English were often exposed to the Iroquois' oratorical skills at eighteenth-century treaty councils. Yankee slick pass the talking stick.

Interesting how you have mixed useful history into suggestion and allegorical metaphors. Thank you. I am picking this apart sentence by sentence.

Attachment 3900

Attachment 3901

Name:  NY_FREEMASONRY back cover.jpg
Views: 714
Size:  196.2 KB
    Last edited by David Merrill; 04-16-16 at 09:41 PM.

Note: By the time you reach the end of the post, its important to have in mind that it was the (Roman Catholic) Habsburgs that were outsed during the Dutch Revolution.
    It might be helpful to consider that DEIC, DWIC and BEIC may have been each 'states' in fact. Or as Philip J. Stern put it regarding BEIC specifically: "A State in the Disguise of a Merchant" (entered as titled to a segment of a book).

The authority for BEIC in India had to do with a Portugese cession regarding Portugese India. Let it be very clear that alongside BEIC or VOC/DEIC/DEWC there was the Portuguese East India Company (1628–1633). Could it be that the (Calvinist) Dutch and (Anglican) British got their idea for BEIC and VOC from Holy Roman Empire models?

Re:xparte, treatment of "natives"
    Was DEIC and DEWC though allegedly of a Protestant nation simply carrying out Roman Catholic Canon law? As in did they incorporated it or adopt it despite all appearances, allegations or notions to the contrary?

Re: Enemy
    Perhaps that means "enemy of Christ" though the meaning of the term may have varied wildly.

One of the justifications for enslavement was the concept of "enemies of Christ", who could be enslaved according to a series of Papal bulls. This tended to be very widely interpreted to include, as well as Muslims, Eastern Orthodox Christians in military situations, and Slavs, Africans and Americans who opposed conversion.
    So begs the question, from a neutral observer-spectator perspective, what might any of this have to do with the actual identity of the harlot in the Book of Revelations and not just the identify of the harlot but of her children or daughters (ala Book of Revelations)? How do events which play out after the 1700s relate to the rise of or permitting of the proliferation of speculative religion?

Did BEIC and VOC borrow from the Holy Roman Empire model?

Related:

P.S. Though there may be zero connection, note the similarity....

Name:  Gujarat_Sultanate_Flag.gif
Views: 681
Size:  1.3 KB
    The flag of the Gujarat Sultanate (of India)

Name:  dc_logo.png
Views: 642
Size:  2.4 KB
    The flag of Washington, D.C. with its three stars (or triple crown?)

Name:  255px-Flag_of_Austria.svg.png
Views: 689
Size:  582 Bytes
    The flag of Austria.

Name:  coatofarms.jpg
Views: 680
Size:  165.9 KB
    George Washington coat of arms.

Name:  map38.gif
Views: 727
Size:  54.5 KB
    But then again, there was such a thing as Habsburg India and .. the Austrian East India Company. Was the 'obsession' with India to do with gaining sovereignty or right of control over "Indians". What was India's relation or connection to Egypt or Ethiopia? (a very interesting one no doubt)
    Last edited by allodial; 04-17-16 at 03:26 AM.
    All rights reserved. Without prejudice. No liability assumed. No value assured.

"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
    "It is the glory of God to conceal a thing: but the honour of kings is to search out a matter." Proverbs 25:2
    Prove all things; hold fast that which is good. Thess. 5:21.