Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Money Order question

I enjoy that pondering.

I think the newer red notice overrides the older. I believe the effort is because somebody purchasing a $1 Money Order might be planning to alter it to $100.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by David Merrill View Post
    I enjoy that pondering.

I think the newer red notice overrides the older. I believe the effort is because somebody purchasing a $1 Money Order might be planning to alter it to $100.

Does anyone out there have a good YouTube/Talkshoe/pdf/webpage about this topic -- pleez post, because I've looked, and it's a tough find. Thanks!
    It's easier to fool people than to convince people they've been fooled. ~ Mark Twain

I am not sure what the issue is.

I think the Postmaster General authorized the agent/clerk to reduce the ceiling amount of the Money Order on very small money orders.

I am not sure what the issue is.

I think the Postmaster General authorized the agent/clerk to reduce the ceiling amount of the Money Order on very small money orders.
    The issue is -- I'm no expert on this aspect of postal money orders. LOL!

If the ceiling was reduced to $50, maybe it was because later on, someone might alter that money order to be a higher amount? But why put a limit on it? Do they not have enough cash to cover it?
    It's easier to fool people than to convince people they've been fooled. ~ Mark Twain

The format of the USPS MO is like the linen on Treasury Paper. Before the "smart" advances people would bleach $1 bills and print them into $20 bills.

The format of the USPS MO is like the linen on Treasury Paper. Before the "smart" advances people would bleach $1 bills and print them into $20 bills.

I wish only to do what is lawful.

Quote Originally Posted by Moxie View Post
    Today I went to the post office and bought a postal money order for $1. Before the clerk gives it to me, she stamps it with a red stamp "NOT VALID OVER $50 DOLLARS". But here https://www.usps.com/shop/money-orders.htmit says my postal money order is good for up to $500.

How to enforce? Thanks!

PS -- yes hold their feet to the fire by showing them their own rules -- this is the first time I've seen them do this. Anyone have any insight about this? Thank you
    I am not accusing. But it is nonsensical to buy a postal service money order for $1. At least to me. And I can understand how the Postmaster General would issue memorandum to red ink the MO so that it cannot be misused. I am on the emails from the OCC and occasionally there is a warning/alert about falsified MO's.

For further information buy a $5, $10 and $25 MO. Tell us if they get the same stamp as the $1 MO.

I am not accusing. But it is nonsensical to buy a postal service money order for $1. At least to me. And I can understand how the Postmaster General would issue memorandum to red ink the MO so that it cannot be misused. I am on the emails from the OCC and occasionally there is a warning/alert about falsified MO's.

For further information buy a $5, $10 and $25 MO. Tell us if they get the same stamp as the $1 MO.
    The $1 money order was an attempt to substitute in place of a $1 stamp since the Red Fox stamp has two slashes thru the dollar sign and they're a pain to get a hold of.

hi Moxie,

that is interesting.. years ago when i used ebay, i required postal MO for payment (i quit ebay when they required PayPal) back then I received some for over $1000.

next time i am at the PO i will ask about a max amount now.

The $1 money order was an attempt to substitute in place of a $1 stamp since the Red Fox stamp has two slashes thru the dollar sign and they're a pain to get a hold of.
    is it still a red fox? why is it so hard to get? Ive read some prefer them on more serious contracts but a simple 2cent stamp should serve the same purpose, no? maybe not backed by gold though, if that is what the fox stamp actually is (so they say anyway)

How to enforce? Thanks!

PS -- yes hold their feet to the fire by showing them their own rules -- this is the first time I've seen them do this. Anyone have any insight about this? Thank you
    I was reading some "Tax Percue" information recently that had some tips on post enforcement. a search on that term may be helpful.
    Last edited by george; 04-10-17 at 07:24 AM.

I have used 2 cent stamps for the purpose quite satisfactorily so I see no reason to acquire Red Fox stamps nor MO's for my paperworks. For other circumstances I have printed the State flag on the upper left corner also achieving satisfaction. ...Remembering that it isn't the stamps nor flag that "work", it is standing behind my paperworks that achieves satisfactions.

I - can - get - mo... sat-tis-fac-tion