Thread: Citizenship, is this the reason they has to pass the 14th Amendment?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by shikamaru View Post
    Which explains the Dread Scott decision decades later to standardize the law across the several States which leads to the Civil War and ultimately the 14th Amendment to overturn that Supreme Court ruling.
    Yep, that's what I was thinking. But you know, it didn't overturned the ruling, that ruling is still law.

Quote Originally Posted by Gavilan View Post
    Yep, that's what I was thinking. But you know, it didn't overturned the ruling, that ruling is still law.
    My understanding is that Supreme Court rulings can be overturned by constitutional amendment which is what we have here.

My understanding is that Supreme Court rulings can be overturned by constitutional amendment which is what we have here.
    Here is a link to the case. https://supreme.justia.com/cases/fed.../393/case.html

I am short of time at the moment, but I will see if we can discuss this further a bit later.

Here is a link to the case. https://supreme.justia.com/cases/fed.../393/case.html

I am short of time at the moment, but I will see if we can discuss this further a bit later.
    If this is still law, where is this law practiced in these United States?

If this is still law, where is this law practiced in these United States?
    Are you talking about slavery? or Citizenship?

Are you talking about slavery? or Citizenship?
    Citizenship.

Slavery has been transmuted into voluntary servitude and incarceration. That affects all people in these United States. Some of the aforementioned affects some more than others disproportionately.
    Last edited by shikamaru; 09-11-16 at 12:53 PM.