Thread: 28 U.S. Code § 1746 - Unsworn declarations under penalty of perjury

28 U.S. Code § 1746 - Unsworn declarations under penalty of perjury

Explain the difference.

28 U.S. Code § 1746 - Unsworn declarations under penalty of perjury

(1)
    If executed without the United States: “I declare (or certify, verify, or state) under penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States of America that the foregoing is true and correct. Executed on (date).
    (Signature)”.
    (2)
    If executed within the United States, its territories, possessions, or commonwealths: “I declare (or certify, verify, or state) under penalty of perjury that the foregoing is true and correct. Executed on (date).
    (Signature)”.

Which one do you use on all government contracts?

Logically this is for when you are swearing outside the US. I agree.

Of course it only matters to a contract or agreement to which the US is a party, or that is any business of the US.

Several times somebody tries to convince me that this is evidence that there are two citizens. The simpler reading is better. When I am in the US territorial boundaries there is no need to specify the US or USA. When I am outside the territorial US then we need to specify the law boundary.

I believe Michael Joseph might describe the same thing around the US Government being trustee. But if you are outside the US, and wish to swear to something that might effect the assets of the US trust, you would need to specify the trustee.

But that is only an invitation for his comment.
    Last edited by David Merrill; 06-05-18 at 06:45 PM.