Thread: Fed Act - Congratulations.

Fed Act - Congratulations.

There is a rumor about and a quote allegedly from Woodrow WILSON that he recanted and regretted passing the Fed Act. I found a citation once and it was from one of these books down at the federal repository. All I could find was quite to the contrary though.

If anybody can cite that quote I might entertain researching it again.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by David Merrill View Post
    There is a rumor about and a quote allegedly from Woodrow WILSON that he recanted and regretted passing the Fed Act. I found a citation once and it was from one of these books down at the federal repository. All I could find was quite to the contrary though.

If anybody can cite that quote I might entertain researching it again.
    From: http://www.archive.org/details/Natio...heUnitedStates
    This one says 1916.....another I've seen is 1919....perhaps they flipped the 9 and 6...who knows?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Brian; 04-29-11 at 02:33 AM.

I have unwittingly ruined my country

Quote Originally Posted by David Merrill View Post
    There is a rumor about and a quote allegedly from Woodrow WILSON ...If anybody can cite that quote I might entertain researching it again.
    Is this the quote?
    I am a most unhappy man. I have unwittingly ruined my country. A great industrial nation is controlled by its system of credit. Our system of credit is concentrated. The growth of the nation, therefore, and all our activities are in the hands of a few men. We have come to be one of the worst ruled, one of the most completely controlled and dominated governments in the civilized world. No longer a government by free opinion, no longer a government by conviction and the vote of the majority, but a government by the opinion and duress of a small group of dominant men.
    ??~ Woodrow Wilson??

No source found

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Is this the quote?
    I am a most unhappy man. I have unwittingly ruined my country. A great industrial nation is controlled by its system of credit. Our system of credit is concentrated. The growth of the nation, therefore, and all our activities are in the hands of a few men. We have come to be one of the worst ruled, one of the most completely controlled and dominated governments in the civilized world. No longer a government by free opinion, no longer a government by conviction and the vote of the majority, but a government by the opinion and duress of a small group of dominant men.
    ??~ Woodrow Wilson??

No source found
    Yes! Thank you.

Basically I was providing a post with both an Imageshack link and an Attachment of the same size image for Admin to solve that problem with image size. But if anybody wants to send me to the federal repository with new citations for that quote I will.

The New Freedom comprises the campaign speeches and promises of Woodrow Wilson in the 1912 presidential campaign.

The quote you are looking for appears to be taken from two different quotes, maybe? Here is part of what you are searching for:

"We have restricted credit, we have restricted opportunity, we have controlled development, and we have come to be one of the worst ruled, one of the most completely controlled and dominated, governments in the civilized world—no longer a government by free opinion, no longer a government by conviction and the vote of the majority, but a government by the opinion and the duress of small groups of dominant men"(The New Freedom, by Woodrow Wilson, chapter IX).

You may review it here: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/14811...-h/14811-h.htm

In short, it appears part of this quote was taken from a speech prior to the signing of the Federal Reserve Act, and is pieced together. If someone cares to find the first part of the speech "I am a most unhappy man. I have unwittingly ruined my country. A great industrial nation is controlled by its system of credit. Our system of credit is concentrated. The growth of the nation, therefore, and all our activities are in the hands of a few men", we can put this thing to rest.
    For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it.
    -Patrick Henry-