Maybe somebody can cite policy and law about this. I have always thought it kind of obvious but the question keeps coming up. Basically it is about demanding lawful money while writing a check. I have always taught that you would need to have consent of the recipient of the funds. In other words you could stamp the backside non-endorsement if the lawn boy knew about redeeming lawful money, but it would just be letting him use your stamp to make his demand.

From the PM:

Good day,

I am new to the forum. I have been redeeming lawful money now for about two years. I recently tired to buy gold/silver from a company via an ETrade check. I endorsed the front of the check with "lawful money" and it was sent back to me. The money was deducted from my Etrade portfolio account and Im kind of stuck on what to do next. Should I force Etrade to endorse my demand although the money was already deducted or should I talk to the gold bullion company and demand they send me my products? Hope to hear from you soon sir.
My response:

By putting it on the front of the instrument you are compelling the recipient to redeem lawful money. The company chooses otherwise. It is not your domain to choose whether the company wants redemption or not.

I think if you single strikethrough the lawful money verbiage and send it back to the company, they will send you your gold. Initial the single strikethrough.

I would like to post this conversation on the forums. If I do not mention your member name, is that okay?
He wrote back:

Yes please feel free to post this. Thank you so much for the reply!