Please don't do me any favors, JohnnyCash. I didn't go into all of the points in ManOnTheLand's post because I didn't think them worthy of being addressed; so I limited my response to what I know as a result of decades as a coin collector and as someone with a background in finance. I'll limit my response, this time, to one point: deflation occurs when too little money is available to support the economy. That's what happened from 1929-33, and is why the initial years of the Great Depression were as bad as they were. It's also why the Recession of 1938 occurred, as cuts in federal spending took money out of the economy. If there is too little silver and gold around to support the need for circulating money (and there are a lot more industrial uses for gold and silver than there were 50 years ago), deflation will occur; and if it continues for too long, recession and maybe depression follow.

Paying less for goods is no benefit to us if we don't have the money to buy what's out there, or if people cease production because they cannot get a profitable price on the things that they sell.