Thread: Pete HENDRICKSON's Lost Horizons - Solutions?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    bobbinville
    That's a very nice piece, Noah. One of my specialties is German coins of the Second Reich. It looks like the Long Beard variety, which in 2006 was worth $250 in Fine condition. The "D" means that the coin was struck at the Munich Mint (which still strikes coins today).

For the sake of you Suitors who are not coin collectors: after 1873, all Germans used the same coins from 1 Pfennig up through 1 Mark. For 2 Mark, 3 Mark and 5 Mark coins (silver) and 5 Mark (briefly), 10 Mark and 20 Mark (gold), most coins bore the portrait of the Kaiser and King of Prussia; but the other German kingdoms, principalities. grand duchies, duchies, free cities and so on were allowed to mint their own coinage, using the common reverse and the imperial coinage standards. The Duchy of Saxe-Meiningen was located in what is now the "Land" (State) of Thuringia; and the last Duke abdicated in 1918. Noah has, not just a valuable and attractive coin, but a nice piece of history -- which is one reason why I, too, collect German coins.

Noah
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbinville View Post
    That's a very nice piece, Noah. One of my specialties is German coins of the Second Reich. It looks like the Long Beard variety, which in 2006 was worth $250 in Fine condition. The "D" means that the coin was struck at the Munich Mint (which still strikes coins today).
    No, that is Short Beard variety of Georg II - Large Crowned Imperial Eagle with the cropped beard, 90% silver. See here is the Long beard - notice the end of the beard is rounded and nearly touches the ring of dots.

bobbinville
    Thanks for the correction. I didn't have a pic of the short beard variety; but I'll save your database as a resource.

JohnnyCash
    Well, well, well. Bobbinville failed the test. Thank you Noah.
    The self-described coin collector of 54 years specializing in German coins of the Second Reich ... erred on a Second Reich coin. Why am I not surprised.

I would just like to alert members that some posters are very likely not who they purport to be. It's easy enough to get a login & hide behind a fake-IP. Indeed if Martha Stout is correct, some users might be that 1/25th of the populace without a conscience, who can lie and not feel bad about it.. at all. And wouldn't such a user be useful to the banksters or the Cabal controlled U.S. Government who must rely on the compliance and conditioning of the masses?

You have been warned. I will leave it at that.

Noah
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbinville View Post
    Only 20,000 minted of both varieties. I would sell it for 2 bitcoin.