Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marriage without a state license - recommendations for officiants?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim M View Post
    thanks for welcoming me! i looked around last night after posting and this place has a lot of interesting stuff!!!

That's what I was afraid of...do it their way(the wrong way) and it be accepted, or do it the right way and they will ignore it. by any chance would signing the state's license with "under protest" make any difference? I'd like for it to be both accepted by the state whilst not governed by them, but I'm guessing that does not and cannot exist. if they couldn't have their hand in our marriage, they wouldn't be issuing us permission to do something we have a right to do...am i right? We're not especially christian, but we are religious folk who believe we were given certain rights by our Creator.
    I believe you hit that nail on the head.
    If you have no trust in the STATE, perhaps you should not enter into a TRUST agreement with it?

Signing "under protest" would do no good IMHO, because nobody is forcing you to marry your person to another person.
    Treefarmer

There is power in the blood of Jesus

Quote Originally Posted by Treefarmer View Post
    I believe you hit that nail on the head.
    If you have no trust in the STATE, perhaps you should not enter into a TRUST agreement with it?

Signing "under protest" would do no good IMHO, because nobody is forcing you to marry your person to another person.
    i don't trust them, but without entering into contract with them, i fear we will not be regarded as married.

you're right, no one is forcing me to marry my fiancee and vice versa, but in a way(to have our marriage accepted by society) we are forced(coerced may be a better term) to marry with permission of the state. the state screwed it all up anyway, in old days people wed each other with witnesses and posted a statement of their marriage in a public place. but because the state has usurped the power to determine who may and may not be wed, they have corrupted what accepted by society is. i read some other state statutes, and some places like alabama and south carolina will honor a marriage contract but we don't reside there so i'm guessing that is out of the question.

does anyone have ant thought on this idea? what if we were to draw up a marriage contract, stating that the document supersedes all other marriage contracts entered into by the two of us, sign it with several witnesses and then afterward go get the states permission. would the verbiage allow it to overrule our "agreement" with the state?

i don't trust them, but without entering into contract with them, i fear we will not be regarded as married.

you're right, no one is forcing me to marry my fiancee and vice versa, but in a way(to have our marriage accepted by society) we are forced(coerced may be a better term) to marry with permission of the state. the state screwed it all up anyway, in old days people wed each other with witnesses and posted a statement of their marriage in a public place. but because the state has usurped the power to determine who may and may not be wed, they have corrupted what accepted by society is. i read some other state statutes, and some places like alabama and south carolina will honor a marriage contract but we don't reside there so i'm guessing that is out of the question.

does anyone have ant thought on this idea? what if we were to draw up a marriage contract, stating that the document supersedes all other marriage contracts entered into by the two of us, sign it with several witnesses and then afterward go get the states permission. would the verbiage allow it to overrule our "agreement" with the state?
    Perhaps some insight is being requested? The word "trash" sounds like we are talking about the same thing. To Roy its 9,000 pounds of chemicals and waste he has to throw out. To Tim its baby diapers, TV dinners and left overs. The same sound, the same letters but WHOLLY different meanings in all actuality. The word 'marriage' sounds like the word used by "State actors" sounds like the word 'marriage' when utilized by others but they tend to have little or nothing to do with each other or have little or nothing to do with what is referred to as Biblical marriage.
    All rights reserved. Without prejudice. No liability assumed. No value assured.

"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
    "It is the glory of God to conceal a thing: but the honour of kings is to search out a matter." Proverbs 25:2
    Prove all things; hold fast that which is good. Thess. 5:21.

Quote Originally Posted by allodial View Post
    Perhaps some insight is being requested? The word "trash" sounds like we are talking about the same thing. To Roy its 9,000 pounds of chemicals and waste he has to throw out. To Tim its baby diapers, TV dinners and left overs. The same sound, the same letters but WHOLLY different meanings in all actuality. The word 'marriage' sounds like the word used by "State actors" sounds like the word 'marriage' when utilized by others but they tend to have little or nothing to do with each other or have little or nothing to do with what is referred to as Biblical marriage.
    Oh I agree in full with your point. Its the sheep of the world that im concerned wont acknowledge what we feel is true and just.

Jethro- CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by allodial View Post
    Good point allodial.

In the best case scenario, the spouses-to-be would communicate to each other who they are, in whom they trust, and what they expect to accomplish with their marriage.
    Then they would look at the different ways whereby their goals could be accomplished, and choose the way which seems best.

I believe that the outcome would be highly dependent on where the bride and groom perceive themselves to stand in relation to the Great Controversy:
    "For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high [places]. "
    Ephesians 6:12

A STATE issued MARRIAGE LICENSE could be important for persons who plan on participating in Social Security, income tax, health insurance, mortgages, etc.
    For people who do not plan on contracting much with the STATE at all, it would probably be best to keep the STATE out of their marital affairs.

If it is a goal of the spouses-to-be to have children, then it's even more important to carefully weigh the options. I have observed that the offspring (with BC and SSN) of legally married persons can be claimed as property by the STATE and may be confiscated by CPS and other government agencies at any time.

Since marriage is an incredibly important and far-reaching decision, and difficult to undo, it pays to do very careful research into all aspects of it.
    Treefarmer

There is power in the blood of Jesus

To update, my fiancee and I happily wed without a marriage license this past fall. We were blessed in that our Christian pre-marital counselor readily agree to marry us without a license. "F*ck the government," he said.

As for making it lawfully valid -- or more specifically, creating admissible evidence of our union before God without the "state" as a party -- we designed and created our own "Certificate of Marriage" (which was quite beautiful, I may add) signed by us, the best man, the maid of honor, and the officiant. We then made a one-page "notice of marriage" attached the Certificate and filed it with the county recorder. We can now get a certified copy of it whenever we want, which would be admissible as self-authenticating evidence in the event our marriage were ever challenged.

So far, everyone has accepted the "Certificate of Marriage" as valid (but then, we're not using it to get Social Security, etc.)

Jim, feel free to contact me at musicmaker600 (at) excite (dot) com if you'd like -- I'm also in Tennessee.

Quote Originally Posted by Jethro View Post
    To update, my fiancee and I happily wed without a marriage license this past fall. We were blessed in that our Christian pre-marital counselor readily agree to marry us without a license. "F*ck the government," he said.

As for making it lawfully valid -- or more specifically, creating admissible evidence of our union before God without the "state" as a party -- we designed and created our own "Certificate of Marriage" (which was quite beautiful, I may add) signed by us, the best man, the maid of honor, and the officiant. We then made a one-page "notice of marriage" attached the Certificate and filed it with the county recorder. We can now get a certified copy of it whenever we want, which would be admissible as self-authenticating evidence in the event our marriage were ever challenged.

So far, everyone has accepted the "Certificate of Marriage" as valid (but then, we're not using it to get Social Security, etc.)

Jim, feel free to contact me at musicmaker600 (at) excite (dot) com if you'd like -- I'm also in Tennessee.
    Whoa! how did you file it with the county recorder? did they not laugh at you and say this is not acceptable, it wasnt issued by the state?

thanks, ill be emailing you shortly
    Last edited by Jim M; 02-29-12 at 04:56 AM.

Whoa! how did you file it with the county recorder? did they not laugh at you and say this is not acceptable, it wasnt issued by the state?

thanks, ill be emailing you shortly
    It was very simple to file it -- take it to the recorder, say "File this" (you may need to tell them to file it under "miscellaneous"), pay the filing fee (about $5/page - our was 2 pages), done. Just make sure it has the correct format, e.g. it has "prepared by" at the top, it's notarized, etc. Ask your recorder for their requirements, or it may be online.

They didn't laugh at all. It's none of their business what's in the document; their job is to file it. And that's it!

Quote Originally Posted by Jethro View Post

I wouldn't have did a mere certificate.
    I would have drafted a private marriage contract.

You, your wife, and several witnesses can sign the document.
    The document can also be filed with the county recorder if you choose.