Quote Originally Posted by Jethro View Post
To update, my fiancee and I happily wed without a marriage license this past fall. We were blessed in that our Christian pre-marital counselor readily agree to marry us without a license. "F*ck the government," he said.

As for making it lawfully valid -- or more specifically, creating admissible evidence of our union before God without the "state" as a party -- we designed and created our own "Certificate of Marriage" (which was quite beautiful, I may add) signed by us, the best man, the maid of honor, and the officiant. We then made a one-page "notice of marriage" attached the Certificate and filed it with the county recorder. We can now get a certified copy of it whenever we want, which would be admissible as self-authenticating evidence in the event our marriage were ever challenged.

So far, everyone has accepted the "Certificate of Marriage" as valid (but then, we're not using it to get Social Security, etc.)

Jim, feel free to contact me at musicmaker600 (at) excite (dot) com if you'd like -- I'm also in Tennessee.
I wouldn't have did a mere certificate.
I would have drafted a private marriage contract.

You, your wife, and several witnesses can sign the document.
The document can also be filed with the county recorder if you choose.