Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Marriage without a state license - recommendations for officiants?

Quote Originally Posted by David Merrill View Post
    How many "officiants" have you inquired of?
    I think we may have found one, though I'd like a "backup" -- people get spooked sooo easily nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by Jethro View Post
    My fiancee and I have decided we will not be marrying with a state license. We believe marriage is an institution ordained by God, and the state has no business attempting to "license" our marriage. We will wed in Florida in October. Florida's marriage statutes are remarkably clear in that a marriage license is not 'required' to get married, yet there is an extraordinary amount of cowardice by potential officiants about marrying without a state license.

Can anyone recommend any Christian officiants (in or near Florida) who may be willing to solemnize our wedding?
    You could also do a private marriage contract in addition to the great advice of David.

Quote Originally Posted by Trust Guy View Post
    Wife and I joined in Matrimony via witnessed contract in California, relying on pre existing Spanish Law. We published Banns in the local Paper of Record, giving Legal Notice 3 times, per general requirements. No “Minister” officiated. Our union was recognized with filing in the County Records. Outside of California we are only recognized by Common Law Marriage States, for any State ”Benefits”.

In your case, I might look for a State Registered independent “Ordained” Minister. Universal Life Church might be of help. ULC has a partial listing here - ttp://ulc.net/index.php?page=minister_directory

They may not meet your criteria for “Christian”.

You may also find someone with World Christianship Ministries, Universal Ministries, or an Independent Baptist. There are others, but only the above come to mind.

Be prepared to show where Florida law does not require a License when discussing your needs. Also be prepared to not be recognized by Government and Private institutions without their “Papers”, even though they are not required.

All the Best, TG
    Pooh .... the mighty Trust Guy beats me too it.
    I will read threads completely before going gun crazy ... thanks Trust Guy.
    Good stuff .... and from a man of experience too.

If government doesn't recognize it, then it is truly private and outside of their "law".
    Last edited by shikamaru; 05-13-11 at 02:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jethro View Post
    I think we may have found one, though I'd like a "backup" -- people get spooked sooo easily nowadays.

I am hoping that is incorrect. The Income Tax seems to be coming to an end in Arizona, being replaced by a sales tax to try and take up the load for the failing Dollar. There is also a retaliatory financial regime formed - BRICS - Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa.

What I am saying is that there may be a lot of emotional response to you and your fiance' marrying through a work-around, but I hope there is a lot of sentiment and understanding to support that you would rather not have the State in bed with you.

Regards,

David Merrill.

I found this thread on google searching for marriage without state as a third party. Im hoping someone here can help.

So here's my situation:

My fiancee and I want to marry each other, but I have long seen how the gov is too much in everyones business and I dont want them in ours. Marriage should be between us and only us and no one else.

We live in Tennessee and state statute 36-3-103 states (a) Before being joined in marriage, the parties shall present to the minister or officer a license under the hand of a county clerk in this state, directed to such minister or officer, authorizing the solemnization of a marriage between the parties. To me that says its illegal to be married without a licence

Is there any way to be married and it be accepted by the state without getting their permission?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim M View Post
    I found this thread on google searching for marriage without state as a third party. Im hoping someone here can help.

So here's my situation:

My fiancee and I want to marry each other, but I have long seen how the gov is too much in everyones business and I dont want them in ours. Marriage should be between us and only us and no one else.

We live in Tennessee and state statute 36-3-103 states (a) Before being joined in marriage, the parties shall present to the minister or officer a license under the hand of a county clerk in this state, directed to such minister or officer, authorizing the solemnization of a marriage between the parties. To me that says its illegal to be married without a licence

Is there any way to be married and it be accepted by the state without getting their permission?
    Hello Jim M
    Welcome to the forum.

I believe that you will have to make a decision as to who you want to see getting married, and for what purpose.

Would you like for a natural man and woman (you and your fianceé) to get married to each other, before your Creator, and in service to Him, so as to not be in violation of His seventh commandment as you engage in an intimate relationship with each other?
    Then all you need are a couple of live human adult witnesses to witness you and your fianceé's exchange of vows before the Eternal One, and it's done.
    The blueprint for biblical marriage is contained in Genesis chapter 24.

If you want for your FIRST M LAST + SS# xxx-xx-xxxx + DOB + DL# persons to get married however, you will have to somehow involve the STATE wherein these persons reside, in order for this STATE (TENNESSEE) or the US federal government (IRS, SSA, DHS, etc) to recognize the union between these persons.

The STATE only has power over it's own creations, of which your person is a part.
    Your Creator has power over your soul and body.

What will your purpose be?
    Treefarmer

There is power in the blood of Jesus

Quote Originally Posted by Treefarmer View Post
    Hello Jim M
    Welcome to the forum.

I believe that you will have to make a decision as to who you want to see getting married, and for what purpose.

Would you like for a natural man and woman (you and your fianceé) to get married to each other, before your Creator, and in service to Him, so as to not be in violation of His seventh commandment as you engage in an intimate relationship with each other?
    Then all you need are a couple of live human adult witnesses to witness you and your fianceé's exchange of vows before the Eternal One, and it's done.
    The blueprint for biblical marriage is contained in Genesis chapter 24.

If you want for your FIRST M LAST + SS# xxx-xx-xxxx + DOB + DL# persons to get married however, you will have to somehow involve the STATE wherein these persons reside, in order for this STATE (TENNESSEE) or the US federal government (IRS, SSA, DHS, etc) to recognize the union between these persons.

The STATE only has power over it's own creations, of which your person is a part.
    Your Creator has power over your soul and body.

What will your purpose be?
    thanks for welcoming me! i looked around last night after posting and this place has a lot of interesting stuff!!!

That's what I was afraid of...do it their way(the wrong way) and it be accepted, or do it the right way and they will ignore it. by any chance would signing the state's license with "under protest" make any difference? I'd like for it to be both accepted by the state whilst not governed by them, but I'm guessing that does not and cannot exist. if they couldn't have their hand in our marriage, they wouldn't be issuing us permission to do something we have a right to do...am i right? We're not especially christian, but we are religious folk who believe we were given certain rights by our Creator.

I dunno what happened to the generic template I made for an ecclesia on the East Coast. But the sample David Merrill showed looks quite good. In the wording on certificates I've made it might evidence something like "John" of the house of Smith did on this day take Theresa formerly of the house of Jones to be his lawful wife and provides a signature block for the wife and for the husband. And for additional witnesses.

(It can be nice to have the written consent of the wife's father on there too.)

As for "financial matters" one might establish trusts (non-statutory, irrevocable trusts are a type) for managing the household finances IMHO its quite important to know how to structure, manage and maintain a household from various standpoints such as economics, health and law. With respect to "Secular affairs", taxes, work and interacting with "the State", such can be managed using non-statutory trusts or perhaps even statutory entities.
    All rights reserved. Without prejudice. No liability assumed. No value assured.

"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
    "It is the glory of God to conceal a thing: but the honour of kings is to search out a matter." Proverbs 25:2
    Prove all things; hold fast that which is good. Thess. 5:21.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim M View Post
    thanks for welcoming me! i looked around last night after posting and this place has a lot of interesting stuff!!!

That's what I was afraid of...do it their way(the wrong way) and it be accepted, or do it the right way and they will ignore it. by any chance would signing the state's license with "under protest" make any difference? I'd like for it to be both accepted by the state whilst not governed by them, but I'm guessing that does not and cannot exist. if they couldn't have their hand in our marriage, they wouldn't be issuing us permission to do something we have a right to do...am i right? We're not especially christian, but we are religious folk who believe we were given certain rights by our Creator.
    I believe you hit that nail on the head.
    If you have no trust in the STATE, perhaps you should not enter into a TRUST agreement with it?

Signing "under protest" would do no good IMHO, because nobody is forcing you to marry your person to another person.
    Treefarmer

There is power in the blood of Jesus

Quote Originally Posted by Treefarmer View Post
    I believe you hit that nail on the head.
    If you have no trust in the STATE, perhaps you should not enter into a TRUST agreement with it?

Signing "under protest" would do no good IMHO, because nobody is forcing you to marry your person to another person.
    i don't trust them, but without entering into contract with them, i fear we will not be regarded as married.

you're right, no one is forcing me to marry my fiancee and vice versa, but in a way(to have our marriage accepted by society) we are forced(coerced may be a better term) to marry with permission of the state. the state screwed it all up anyway, in old days people wed each other with witnesses and posted a statement of their marriage in a public place. but because the state has usurped the power to determine who may and may not be wed, they have corrupted what accepted by society is. i read some other state statutes, and some places like alabama and south carolina will honor a marriage contract but we don't reside there so i'm guessing that is out of the question.

does anyone have ant thought on this idea? what if we were to draw up a marriage contract, stating that the document supersedes all other marriage contracts entered into by the two of us, sign it with several witnesses and then afterward go get the states permission. would the verbiage allow it to overrule our "agreement" with the state?