Quote Originally Posted by Trust Guy View Post
Past tense Friend, I “ran” 14 years.

My Mother passed in the fall of 2006. She did not have a Will as everything was done to avoid probate, less executing a written trust. As eldest Son the Estate responsibilities fell to me. I simply could not function efficiently for the surviving family without a bank account and DL to expedite things. There was the property mortgage and outstanding debts to be settled . There were personal effects and stocks to be distributed . Matter of Necessity . The license period here is 6 years. I may well let it lapse again next year , I may take more affirmative action .

On the road block : I answered to “Mr. ( me )” because I had already expressed the documents were for his benefit, not mine. Everything on that card can be disputed in court readily enough , although bringing up the Trustee aspect of administrative proceedings usually puts the stopper in place . The car and insurance are not in my name, but he didn’t even look . I doubt the line Officer had a clue , but his body language said something got his attention or caught him off guard . No idea what it would be unless Missouri State Police have had some kind of training in the matter .

The rest of the encounter was as stated. That was it for my part. I did have time to observe several cars ahead in line being run . Every adult handed out ID . Every driver had theirs disappear into a patrol car for computer check . Was kind of an assembly line operation. Working 2 - 3 cars at a time on the busy rural highway . One Officer first, then two more . One to take the drivers info up to the computer car and one to talk to others in the car , if any , and do a walk around looking in windows and checking for seat belt use, beer cans , plates . Only need one plate hereabouts, although 2 are provided . Don’t even need to be on the bumper . At least when I last checked . Country folks , especially / farmer ranchers , can make plates unreadable in short order .

Forgot to mention there was no computer check on my DL either , like the travelers ahead. The two other Officers coming over were waived away, so Bunny did not get asked to provide ID , or even identify herself . When the line cleared we were waived on through .
Thank you for the clarification.

I am still amazed that the mere statement, "This is for your benefit, not mine. May I help you ?" rendered and effected the response you shared with us. Good for you and perhaps I will add that verbiage to my statement to LEOs, "I do not present or offer you this DL card as identification but only for competency purposes". I see no harm in adding that speech as I agree with the premise and truth of it. I will be interested in the response I get when speaking those words in addition to what I usually declare.