Thread: Fun With EPA Lead Test :

Fun With EPA Lead Test :

Well now . Got a nice letter from the County Health Dept. today. Addressed to my brother . Guess they are leaving me out of the equation though we are each half “Owners” of the place .

EPA had mailed two notices with pamphlets and Access Agreements to test the property for lead contamination . Then a two man team and a second team a few months later . Now this mail through the County .

In researching the original package it plainly stated the test was not “Mandatory” , as did a general check of the cites of authority given , so I declined . Then came the two visiting teams . Again declined , having watched the contractor botch the heck out of two properties across the road . What a mess . Re-did it twice and still got it wrong . Mud and gravel washing off everywhere . Making the dangerous little T intersection at the bottom of grade even more dangerous , for months on end . Frozen mud in the winter . Mud and gravel in the spring and fall . Gravel and dust all summer long . Lots of fun .

Here’s the kicker . I am now led to understand that if One does not allow the testing , property Title can not be transferred with sale , until the property is “brought up to EPA standards“ at the land owners expense . Did not find any mention of such in my cursory study . A friend of Bun’s has been going through this “service” for a long time . Family has a few acres in the country . Horses , small live stock , 70 x 100 foot garden . A nice little home .

I spoke with her today and she related the EPA guys told her this title cloud business . So the couple allowed it . They only tested the yard even thought parts of the garden were closer to the house than the grass . She guesses it’s OK to grow vegetables to feed your children in contaminated soil but not let them play in the grass . Another unsatisfied household heard from .

She also related the counties recently received additional 10’s of millions in Super Fund bux . Suppose this is why the County got involved .

So I’m off to track this info down over the next few weeks . First stop , County Health to find out how they got involved . Next , County Recorder to ask if EPA stuff is considered a Superior Lien to the County’s claim , vis-a-vie Property Taxes . A Commercial Interest if so . Guess they could not issue their paper in Property Tax or Sheriff’s sale .

Would appreciate any info or leads about EPA and Super Fund stuff from members .

Might be interesting . Besides , I could use a new hobby for the summer . Now to check on voice recorders to replace the trusty old mini cassette . Never know when you might be witness to a crime .

Thanks All , TG
    Not to be construed as Legal Advice, nor a recommended Course of Action. I will stand corrected.

Semi-related: Lead paint makes it harder to spy on people or to track them or appliances with tracking devices.
    All rights reserved. Without prejudice. No liability assumed. No value assured.

"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
    "It is the glory of God to conceal a thing: but the honour of kings is to search out a matter." Proverbs 25:2
    Prove all things; hold fast that which is good. Thess. 5:21.