Quote Originally Posted by David Merrill View Post
That applies only to minting currency for the state. I do not believe any states have exercised that right - at least not since the Fed in 1913.
I am sure I may be missing something, but, I don't see it in regards 'minting.' Article 1 Section 10.1 forbids the States from making anything but gold or silver a legal tender. I imagine, 'making' can be equated w/ 'minting' but can also be read as 'allowing', etc. What the states 'have made' 'legal tender' is FRNs, this is not what is required by Art 1 Sect 10....

The Constitution forbids the federal government from making decisions regarding legal tender, since it is not authorized to do so. By default, it is a lack of authorization which prohibits the federal government from doing so, but, back to the states.

Refer to amendments 9 & 10. Basically, anything that the federal government is not authorized to do is a right of the States or the people UNLESS the States are forbidden, which in this case they are as per Article 1 Section 10.1

On the one hand, the federal government is prohibited from printing fiat money since there is no specific authorization for it in the Constitution. On the other, the States are also prohibited from printing (your minting) fiat currency because Article 1 Section 10.1 limits States to only using gold or silver as money. So, neither the federal government nor the state governments are authorized to coin money or emit bills of credit. The only thing that is allowed under the Constitution is for states too make gold and silver "a tender in payment of debts". ....so, back to question which perhaps seems rather simple to my simple mind but;

"How can any corporation register in any of the states when the states can only accept gold and silver?" when...there is no gold or silver. In fact, how can any state charge for anything when they are explicitly prohibited from doing so unless it is gold or silver coin?