Thread: A medieval financial instrument

A medieval financial instrument

Gage

In medieval finance, a gage could come in two forms: a mort-gage or a vif-gage. When the owner of property needed liquid resources, they could exchange their property, as a surety, for 'cash.' Since the gage was typically a piece of property which generated revenue (i.e. a farm which produced crops, a mill which processed food, a pasture that provided milk or wool, etc.), the creditor received the benefits of the land. Under the terms of a vifgage, these benefits reduced the amount the borrower owed, while under a mortgage they did not. This meant that if the property was prosperous enough, or the loan small enough, a property in vifgage could pay off the debt itself. On the other hand, with a mortgage, the benefits of the property constituted interest on the loan, which made it a form of usury. This meant that mortgages were seen as immoral/illegal among Catholic theologians.[1]
    Speculative thought:

Could property taxes have connection to the vif-gage?

The mort-gage is self-explanatory.

Quote Originally Posted by shikamaru View Post
    Gage

Speculative thought:

Could property taxes have connection to the vif-gage?

The mort-gage is self-explanatory.
    I see this as the opposite.

A ‘death pledge’ may be a pledge that mortifies your claim to the land. A ‘life pledge’ may be one that retains redemption for your claim. The difference in pledges as stated by your cite shows that one form of pledge can be redeemable (vifgage (possibly ‘visgage’ as ‘f’ may mean ‘s’ in old English)), and the other might (it’s a matter of degrees of perception of the one who received the pledge) not (mortgage) (to death do us part).

Quote Originally Posted by RThomas View Post
    I see this as the opposite.

A ‘death pledge’ may be a pledge that mortifies your claim to the land. A ‘life pledge’ may be one that retains redemption for your claim. The difference in pledges as stated by your cite shows that one form of pledge can be redeemable (vifgage (possibly ‘visgage’ as ‘f’ may mean ‘s’ in old English)), and the other might (it’s a matter of degrees of perception of the one who received the pledge) not (mortgage) (to death do us part).
    Allow me to explain my perspective.
    There is a court case that states that property is not taxed. It is the income from property that is taxed.

Land held by a proprietor can produce income.

A portion of this income is taxed.

That is what the vif-gage term reminded me of.

The mortgage is where the income from the property does not reduce the interest according to the article.

The money plan or " moon's eye plan " ;

Link to the video:

http://youtu.be/B00PFiTn5VM

Your want for wealth with money is the hook that caught the fish, you.