Quote Originally Posted by ohiofoiarequest View Post
I have only ever run into a couple of issues when redeeming checks in lawful money of the United States. The very first time I tried doing so was back when I was still actively engaged in the labor force. I went to the employer's bank to cash a payroll check..at the bank the teller and then her manager both took up issue with the past tense use of "redeemed in lawful money" endorsement; to them it appeared to invalidate the check itself.

A call to the bank's legal department got me the cash in hand but a strict admonishment to no longer endorse my checks in such a manner...which was avoided by simply going to another branch and writing the endorsement with present tense "redeem in lawful money 12 USC 411"...never another issue there.
You might want to try the following verbiage, also, as it states the matter in plain enough English that few, if any, will be able to argue with it:

"Deposited for credit on account in, or exchanged for, lawful money per Title 12 U.S.C. Sec. 411" Follow this up by printing underneath this verbiage your conditional endorsement as: True Name [e.g., John Alan] dba [doing business as] Fiduciary Trust Name [e.g., John A. Smith].

I've been using that verbiage since 2008 when I was first introduced to it in a similar law forum, and have never had any problem with using it. Tellers look at it, some do a double take, but then process the check as usual. I don't recall having anyone ever ask me what it meant.