Quote Originally Posted by allodial View Post
Used to be that they had a more easier-to-grasp district structure for the IRS. Now it seems to be a bit more ambiguous. I had always seemed comfortable with the idea of settling your exemption with the local IRS and having the employer deal with the IRS. That is, if the local IRS will hold up their end, the employer being the "little, helpless girly" in the scheme of things will have to follow suit. That is: it seems a lot more sound to first establish the exemption with the local IRS or with the IRS in general. Long ago, I used notarized statements in lieu of federal forms..things like a notarized Certificate of Foreign Status and was free from withholding...and I have never, ever heard a peep or question from the IRS. I am, simply, exempt. Keep in mind that, the "employer" in the capacity of doing withholding is very much the IRS/Treasury--really. But the level of competence back at the IRS local office is probably going to be a lot higher than Jennifer the HR chic.

What some folks do not realize is that they are exchanging substance/labor for scrip. The company is the one getting the deal not you. You're the one with what they want. They cannot pay you in lawful money so they are the one's receiving a benefit. But yet they want you to pay the tax on top of their getting a great deal by getting labor for just about nothing. This scheme of passing tax onto the employee was said to have been devised during the 1960s and 1970s.
A debtor U.S. person is what a debtor U.S. person does when one claims to be such a creature via silent acquiescence.