Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: LINUX chatter

Quote Originally Posted by Banja View Post
    How funny. Spent a couple hours looking into Linux yesterday evening, and then I see this thread this morning !! Looked into Linux a couple of years ago, the Linux offerings seem to have come a looooong way in a short period of time, or am I wrong ?

Debian really peaked my interest along with Linux Mint. Does anybody have any experience with Debian ?? After reviewing the various Linux offerings it sure looks to me that once you made the transition, that now you could leave Windows way back in the rear view mirror.
    Debian is great. Its the choice of many 'elite' Linux gurus. Ubuntu is effectively a variant of Debian which itself is a Linux variant. Package management (i.e. software installation, removal or upgrade management) in Debian (apt get, aptitude) is superior to that of Red Hat IMHO (rpms).
    All rights reserved. Without prejudice. No liability assumed. No value assured.

"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
    "It is the glory of God to conceal a thing: but the honour of kings is to search out a matter." Proverbs 25:2
    Prove all things; hold fast that which is good. Thess. 5:21.

How funny. Spent a couple hours looking into Linux yesterday evening, and then I see this thread this morning !! Looked into Linux a couple of years ago, the Linux offerings seem to have come a looooong way in a short period of time, or am I wrong ?

Debian really peaked my interest along with Linux Mint. Does anybody have any experience with Debian ?? After reviewing the various Linux offerings it sure looks to me that once you made the transition, that now you could leave Windows way back in the rear view mirror.
    Debian is a very solid OS. I use it for my Xen server. Works very well right out of the box.

My preference for desktop is for Ubuntu or Mint. If you are starting out, I recommend one of the aforementioned flavors.
    If you already have Wind0ze installed, install VirtualBox first, followed by creating a VM, and finally setup of your chosen Linux flavor.

Quote Originally Posted by allodial View Post
    Debian is great. Its the choice of many 'elite' Linux gurus. Ubuntu is effectively a variant of Debian which itself is a Linux variant. Package management (i.e. software installation, removal or upgrade management) in Debian (apt get, aptitude) is superior to that of Red Hat IMHO (rpms).
    Thanks Shikamaru, your advice actually saved me some time I believe. What got me looking into Linux was that Sunday night my old puter blew up...finally. Had to get a new one. I used my son's laptop in the in-between time, which has Windows 7. Quite honestly W7 impressed me. One of the things that impressed me was using my standard privacy enhancements, absolutely zero cookies or LSO's were being dropped on the machine. Quite honestly I like W7 better than XP (never thought I would say such a thing). Then I got looking into Linux a little closer and ran into this video on YouTube, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkgahANeq14. The title of the video is Linux Sucks.

Basically the presentation makes the case that Linux will never get any better because of the lack of profit. That the troubles Linux has had, at the desktop level they have been facing for 10 years, and the problems never get straightened out.

So, if I decide to play around with Linux, your suggestion of using Virtualbox seems like the best play.

Thanks Shikamaru, your advice actually saved me some time I believe. What got me looking into Linux was that Sunday night my old puter blew up...finally. Had to get a new one. I used my son's laptop in the in-between time, which has Windows 7. Quite honestly W7 impressed me. One of the things that impressed me was using my standard privacy enhancements, absolutely zero cookies or LSO's were being dropped on the machine. Quite honestly I like W7 better than XP (never thought I would say such a thing). Then I got looking into Linux a little closer and ran into this video on YouTube, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkgahANeq14. The title of the video is Linux Sucks.

Basically the presentation makes the case that Linux will never get any better because of the lack of profit. That the troubles Linux has had, at the desktop level they have been facing for 10 years, and the problems never get straightened out.

So, if I decide to play around with Linux, your suggestion of using Virtualbox seems like the best play.
    I would argue that Linux is getting better and will continue to get better due to improvements from people all over the world.

It is because of Linux that for profit IT companies have been pressured to come out with better products.

Virtualbox is a good way to go until you become proficient in Linux to a high degree.