Thread: LAW states registration not required

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by allodial View Post
    Keep in mind that State DL and tags carry a commercial presumption. Where is easily accessible search for LEOs or others so they can determine that its really just for informational rather then commercial? Likely you could complete a DL application in a similar manner. But the USDOT provides a remedy. The key is REMEDY. You arent actually doing anything commercial. You are using it for REMEDY not for commerce. One can clarify the intent by sending supporting document, cover letter or the like to the US Secretary of Transportation or to the Chief Counsel of the USDOT.

Key terms: not for hire, not commercial, private, not domestic, no cargo.
    While I understand that this would document your status, I feel it just moves you out of one jurisdiction of the government into another. You are agreeing to contract with this jurisdiction and that could prejudice other claims you have made as to your status. If athis works for you than I have no problem with it, but it is not a step I would wish to take. There are other less binding ways to afirm your status through noticing and your repository. fB
    Last edited by Frederick Burrell; 08-31-11 at 03:14 AM.