Thread: Etiquette, manners, etc

Etiquette, manners, etc

What the heck as happen to us as a whole and etc? When will this stop and go back to the way we were before this?

This isn't the 1st time that I have thought about or its not going to be the last time. Recently purchased Emily Post's Etiquette: Manners For A New World, 18th Edition, Peggy Post, Anna Post, Lizzie Post, Daniel Post Senning. To me its worth the purchase since its going to be invaluable resource to me no matter what. This should apply to others as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Student of Life View Post
    What the heck as happen to us as a whole and etc? When will this stop and go back to the way we were before this?

This isn't the 1st time that I have thought about or its not going to be the last time. Recently purchased Emily Post's Etiquette: Manners For A New World, 18th Edition, Peggy Post, Anna Post, Lizzie Post, Daniel Post Senning. To me its worth the purchase since its going to be invaluable resource to me no matter what. This should apply to others as well.
    I rely heavily on the "WHAT'S NEW" button. I think that many members do. So Student; I suggest that you might look over other posts here and apply some effort to make the threads you start more interesting to the general subject matter of this site. Otherwise your thread will just get moved down and off the Page and forgotten.

stoneFree
    I think what we'd all like to know is . . . how do you seal your envelopes?

Quote Originally Posted by David Merrill View Post
    I rely heavily on the "WHAT'S NEW" button. I think that many members do. So Student; I suggest that you might look over other posts here and apply some effort to make the threads you start more interesting to the general subject matter of this site. Otherwise your thread will just get moved down and off the Page and forgotten.
    David,

Thanx and I usually do that as well.

Excellent topic, in my opinion.

Technology addiction has caused people to no longer look each other in the eye. Eye-to-eye contact is becoming extinct. That primal human element, eye contact, when our parents first greeted us from the womb, is being shut out by the technology god. In fact, I have seen incidents of those bowing to the iPhone god while crossing the street and struck by a car or caught off guard and assaulted while bowing to the technology god.

And voice conversations have become bastardized into cellphone theater for onlookers, i.e., "Listen to the important, exaggerated, loud, movie-script-like conversation I am having with my broker/kid's soccer coach/spouse in the cereal aisle of the grocery store, everybody! Heyyy! I am an attention seeker!"

To the tech addict, it is easier to whip out the iPhone at a party, reverently bowing their head to the iPhone god while following Twitter, than it is to put the phone away, endure a little awkwardness and a few awkward moments to learn palpable social skills while looking others in the eye.

It is easier to lay the iPhone on the restaurant table, so if awkward silences come while dining with lunch buddies, those uncomfortable moments can be extinguished at one's fingertips by checking the iPhone.

It is easier to hide behind a computer screen, reducing those we communicate with to mere words on a screen, and not living souls with feelings, hearts, strengths and weaknesses, favorite ice cream flavors, hopes and dreams. This is how living soul interactions erode, like waves washing away a beach, day by day, with keen subtlety that one doesn't notice, until suddenly one day, all of society has become like the data-spewing Iphone, because that has become their closest relationship.

I agree that etiquette is a lost art, and emotional and social intelligence has become obsolete in the shadow of technology.

It is funny how differently I read the opening post today. Thank you for bumping it.

Manners and etiquette - invaluable!

I agree with Moxie, civilization and social interaction is eroding quickly. Our social institutions are being dismantled by the digital world. Social interactions, just person to person, are being eliminated by our isolated lifestyle. The individual is being minimized and disenfranchised for the further aggrandizement of the state. And society has become so large and complex, that even when you try, most of your contacts during a day will be with people you don't know and will probably never see again. I spend more time on this blog than I do in actual one on one conversations with anyone other than my immediate family, and I don't own any iGadgets beyond this old desktop computer. Fortunately, peak energy will reverse this trend during my children's lifetime.

Freed

The good ol' days and "back to the way things were" are myths.

The good ol' days for some were hell for others ......

Perhaps it is a case of who's ox gets gored?