Thread: Origins of the word " Christian ", where does it really come from ?

Question Origins of the word " Christian ", where does it really come from ?

There is talk in more then one place I have come across that the origins of the word came from Constatines council, I am not the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to biblical history, but I do the best i can in putting things together.

" As early as 200 BCE, there were Pagan worshippers of Serapis that called themselves "Christians".

In the Vatican, one can view an original Pagan relief depicting MITHRAS with the words CHRESTOS MITHRAS, meaning "good Mithras". Mithraism was the main Pagan religion of ancient Rome, and became blended with the Mashiach of Yisrael through the compromises of the Nicaean Council, headed by Constantine and his son Crispus (325-326 CE). "

It is also there is a certain sect of catholics who call themselves born again christians.
    I have gone back to old bibles to search for the change up in spelling of how this blending might have taken effect, I focused in on Acts 11:26 where allegedly the people were named Christians. Everything still matches all the way back to 1568 Bishop's Bible(Christian) until we get to 1525 Tyndale New Testament where the word is spelled " Christen ", this even goes back to around that period. So what does that mean?

Christen ; To Christianize.
    1828 Websters Dictionary

Ok, so here we go again with the adjectives just like the word " naturalize " or bringing into port.

The spelling then changes again: 1395 Wycliffe Bible , word usage " cristen " . Now it is getting to sound more and more like a word birthed from catholicism.

I have been told that in the days of Constatine's rule not everyone could afford a bible, it was only given to the elite few that gave more funds to the church.
    Also of reading about Ceasar conquering the Druids and then building over the top of their cities to cover up their existence it would not surprise me one bit that Constatine had a agenda of his own by not letting everyone have a bible. One word labels are quite interesting that each has multiple meanings.

Gives new thought to the phrase " We the people " from the Constitution. Should we just say: "I am one of God's people"? Who's people are you ?
    I am who I say I am.
    Last edited by motla68; 12-04-11 at 05:36 PM.
    "You have to understand Neo, most of these people are not ready to
    be unplugged, and many of them are so inured, so hopelessly dependent on the system, that they will fight to protect it."

~ Morpheus / The Matrix movie trilogy.

Shouldn't you cite the sources of where you get your information from particularly for quoted material?

Quote Originally Posted by shikamaru View Post
    Shouldn't you cite the sources of where you get your information from particularly for quoted material?
    The answer is YOUR question.
    be unplugged, and many of them are so inured, so hopelessly dependent on the system, that they will fight to protect it."

Quote Originally Posted by motla68 View Post
    The answer is YOUR question.
    Not good enough. You are guilty of plagerism.
    Shouldn't you abide by a higher standard or will just any BS do?

Quote Originally Posted by shikamaru View Post
    Not good enough. You are guilty of plagerism.
    Shouldn't you abide by a higher standard or will just any BS do?
    So say you, look in the mirror.

Quote Originally Posted by motla68 View Post
    So say you, look in the mirror.
    No cites, eh?

Flavius Josephus, who was a Jewish authority, a Roman scholar and who lived from 37 A.D. to 100 A.D., has recorded in his work, The Antiquities of The Jews. Josephus verifies that Jesus was an historical figure who was called Christ, who was crucified by Pontius Pilate, and who rose again on the third day. Listen: "He was the Christ; and when Pilate, at the suggestion of the principal men amongst us, had condemned Him to the cross, those that loved Him at the first, did not forsake Him, for He appeared to them alive again the third day, as the divine prophets had foretold these and ten thousand other wonderful things concerning Him.(from-The Complete Works of Josephus, Antiquities of the Jews, Kregel Publications, Chapter.III, page 379.)

" As early as 200 BCE, there were Pagan worshippers of Serapis that called themselves "Christians".

Where did this hanging quote come from?

http://www.youtube.com/user/Knowwher...02/CycbvARsxWU

http://www.youtube.com/user/Knowwher...02/CycbvARsxWU

John 15:13 says, "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."

http://www.youtube.com/user/Knowwher...01/d496xMLacSE

"The people cannot delegate to government the power to do anything which would be unlawful for them to do themselves (John Locke)", is based on Natural Rights, that "all men are created equal", that [is to say] they are endowed by their Creator with certain un-alien-able Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and Property.

“We the People” are not who we think they are.

“The popular leaders, who in all ages have called themselves “the people.” ~ Blackstone's Commentaries 438/Ballentines Dictionary
    Last edited by Darkcrusade; 12-07-11 at 04:51 AM. Reason: double

CORNELIUS TACITUS (55 – 120 A.D.) Tacitus was a 1st and 2nd century Roman historian who lived through
    the reigns of over half a dozen Roman emperors. Considered one of the greatest historians of ancient Rome,
    Tacitus verifies the Biblical account of Jesus’ execution at the hands of Pontius Pilate who governed Judea from
    26-36 A.D. during the reign of Tiberius.
    http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/...3Achapter%3D44

But all human efforts, all the lavish gifts of the emperor, and the propitiations of the gods, did not banish the sinister belief that the conflagration was the result of an order.Consequently, to get rid of the report, Nero fastened the guilt and inflicted the most exquisite tortures on a class hated for their abominations, called Christians by the populace. Christus, from whom the name had its origin, suffered the extreme penalty during the reign of Tiberius at the hands of one of our procurators, Pontius Pilatus, and a most mischievous superstition, thus checked for the moment, again broke out not only in Judæa, the first source of the evil, but even in Rome, where all things hideous and shameful from every part of the world find their centre and become popular.

Accordingly, an arrest was first made of all who pleaded guilty; then, upon their information, an immense multitude was convicted, not so much of the crime of firing the city, as of hatred against mankind. Mockery of every sort was added to their deaths. Covered with the skins of beasts, they were torn by dogs and perished, or were nailed to crosses, or were doomed to the flames and burnt, to serve as a nightly illumination, when daylight had expired.
    Nero offered his gardens for the spectacle, and was exhibiting a show in the circus, while he mingled with the people in the dress of a charioteer or stood aloft on a car. Hence, even for criminals who deserved extreme and exemplary punishment, there arose a feeling of compassion; for it was not, as it seemed, for the public good, but to glut one man's cruelty, that they were being destroyed.

What this passage reveals and how it confirms the Biblical account:

■Jesus did exist
    ■Jesus was the founder of Christianity
    ■Jesus was put to death by Pilate
    ■Christianity originated in Judea (With Jesus)
    ■Christianity later spread to Rome (Through the Apostles and Evangelists)

This action by Nero was a HISTORIC false-flag event, He burned the city and blamed,than persecuted the Christians.Later he procured that part of the burned city for his own,as was his desire before the immolation.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkcrusade View Post

“We the People” are not who we think they are.

“The popular leaders, who in all ages have called themselves “the people.” ~ Blackstone's Commentaries 438/Ballentines Dictionary
    This is an important quote and would give a proper perspective to the DOI.
    Why not take the esoteric meaning to the clever DOI?

http://posner.library.cmu.edu/Posner...63_1765_VOL._4

http://posner.library.cmu.edu/Posner...opy0&file=0442

P.S. Man On The Land America68 check your PM's
    I tried to PM this info request to you but your PM's are full, might want to clean that out?

"When the taste for physical gratifications among them has grown more rapidly than their education . . . the time will come when men are carried away and lose all self-restraint . . . . It is not necessary to do violence to such a people in order to strip them of the rights they enjoy; they themselves willingly loosen their hold. . . . they neglect their chief business which is to remain their own masters." ~ Alexis de Tocqueville
    Last edited by Darkcrusade; 12-20-11 at 02:08 AM.