Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question regarding 42 USC § 408

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Earl View Post
    I did speak a utility provider here in my area and said I didn't need to provide a SSN, however, I will need to leave a deposit.
    George Gordon mentioned the exact same thing in one of his broadcasts.

The SSN is for purposes of opening an account for credit.

I think the word that stands out to me is "person". Remember that person means something not real, atleast that is my opinion. So filing a false income tax return with your ssn is a violation as I see it

Quote Originally Posted by Hexify View Post
    I think the word that stands out to me is "person". Remember that person means something not real, atleast that is my opinion. So filing a false income tax return with your ssn is a violation as I see it
    Person has to do with the concept of legal personality.

This reading is really good too.
    Last edited by shikamaru; 01-07-12 at 08:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by christopher george View Post
    from http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/ht...8----000-.html

TITLE 42 > CHAPTER 7 > SUBCHAPTER II > § 408 PENALTIES

(a) In general
    Whoever—
    (8) discloses, uses, or compels the disclosure of the social security number of any person in violation of the laws of the United States;
    shall be guilty of a felony and upon conviction thereof shall be fined under title 18 or imprisoned for not more than five years, or both.

What is meant by "in violation of the laws of the United States"? Does it mean if there is no requirement to provide a ssn in a particular statute then someone compelling you to give a ssn is in violation?

Sorry for the stupid question but the wording of that code has me a bit puzzled as to the intent.
    I have encountered federal laws, Title 5 I believe, that allow for States to use the SSN for identifying numbers on things like fishing licenses.

Interestingly Colorado does not require a SSN for a driver license. If you have one you have to provide it accurately but you can submit a sworn statement that you don't have one if you don't. Also, on that fishing license thing, you are not compelled to give a SSN at all; the license provider (sporting goods store) will lose its franchise to sell the licenses if they get caught issuing fishing licenses without requiring the SSN.
    Last edited by David Merrill; 01-09-12 at 02:48 AM.

Is the department of the treasury a nongovernmental corporate party?

Disclosure Statement: Is a RCFC 7.1 Disclosure Statement required?

The law is pretty clear:
    Unless otherwise ordered, in all cases except habeas corpus cases counsel for private (non-governmental) parties shall identify in the disclosure statement required by Fed. R. Civ. P. 7.1 all persons, associations of persons, firms, partnerships or corporations (including parent corporations) which have a direct, pecuniary interest in the outcome of the case.

Rule 7.1. Disclosure Statement (a) Who Must File; Contents. A nongovernmental corporate party must file 2 copies of a disclosure statement that:
    (1) identifies any parent corporation and any publicly held corporation owning 10% or more of its stock; or
    (2) states that there is no such corporation.