Quote Originally Posted by David Merrill View Post
I have not acquired this directly for myself. I do however learn through a lot of vicarious experience (suitors/brain trust). I think it would be helpful to learn about the current chattel mortgage system and how to register your car without paying a property tax.
The "current chattel mortgage system" can be simple: Don't engage in pledging of property as surety.

I do agree with learning about mortgages and today's current system. However, avoid it as much as possible.

As to registering cars, I am of the opinion that if the car is my property and exclusively my property, then avoid registration.

Cars can generate much in terms of liability. This being the case, it would be prudent in my opinion, to register the car to a corporation or trust and use it as such with the corporation footing the bill for the car, its upkeep, taxes, insurances, and the like in addition to offering another level of protection as far as "assets" go. It is all commerce, therefore box it completely within commercial instruments such as a corporation or trust.